Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by marknicholls, Aug 16, 2004.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Hey

I have had my mac for 5 hours and love it! but i would like to know what you guys think of:

What do you use and why?

Safari or Internet Explorer

Mail or Entourage

Thanks

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Safari for everything with Mozilla for Java. THROW IE AWAY!!!

I use Mail, but that's because I don't have Entourage, and with MS Exchange Server support built into Mail, it works great for me, especially the junk mail filter. I hardly ever actually have to look at any junk mail, the filter is incredible.

3. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Ditto to stoid..

Get rid of IE.. use anything else for anything Safari might not like.
    Mail is great, but I'm slowly switching to my Gmail account.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Same here. Safari. Mail. Keep IE for legacy stuff, just in case, unless you need the disk space. Send Entourage on the long goodbye..

5. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

6. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Definately Safari. IE sucks major... bad. As for Mail or Entourage, I don't know which one is better, I haven't used either

7. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Guys

As im new to all this mac stuff, please ignore my ignorence!

I have just installed Office For the mac, i have unpacked it onto my desktop, and it works right away, no install needed.

Where should i put the folder with all the files? and do i put the actual apps (which appear to be just the icon) in the application foler in finder, or create shortcuts?

Thanks for any help

8. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Safari! I haven't pitched IE yet but for 99%+ Safari smokes. I secretly love Lynx. Mail is very flexible but it won't send HTML mail. I use it because it is simple and has a powerful spam filter and super easy rules. I recommend Thunderbird, if you want something lighter.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It really doesn't matter where it lives. But, put it in your /Applications directory so it doesn't get lonely.

10. freiheit macrumors 6502a

I'm rather partial to Firefox and Thunderbird, even if they are still "developer releases". Thunderbird (and Mozilla Mail by matter of sharing most of the same codebase) is not the best email app I've seen, but it's the most consistent across all my platforms (OS/2, Win2K and MacOS X). Mail (at least in OSX 10.2) looked/felt a lot like Thunderbird in fact, so again it wasn't the best mail app I've seen, but I haven't seen any better on Mac is the thing.

As for browsers, Safari is nice -- looks/works a lot like Firefox in fact, though arguably the fully native interface of both Mail and Safari make them more "at home" on the Mac. I've just grown accustomed over the years to the way Mozilla does things and I find Firefox to be fast, stable and quite compatible with any websites that don't specifically look for IE versus "Netscape" and ignore all others.

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

For your own sanity I suggest you keep all apps in the application folder. Drag any icon to the dock to create a shortcut there. The dock is a bit different in that respect. Think of it as a shortcut bar. To remove a shortcut from the dock, just drag it off. (If you want access to all your applications from the dock, you can drag the applications folder to the right side of the dock, close to the trash. Click and hold, right-click or alt-click to get a "start-menu")

I'll also tell you a small secret, since you seem puzzled by the fact that an application is just an icon. :)

On Mas OS X an application is actually a folder that contains all the resources, files and executables for that application. The Finder makes it simple for you and displays the application as an icon and when you double-click it, Finder launches the app instead of opening the folder. If you go digging in the file system with the command line you'll see the real folders.

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i only use ie when i do online banking cuz stupid natwest wont support safari

13. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Netscape (and Safari as of late) works for me. I don't mind going out of my way and downloading an app just to shun IE.

14. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

For what it's worth, the Mozilla folks also release a browser that uses Cocoa/Aqua, but uses the same Gecko renderer that Firefox/Mozilla use...

try out Camino
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I use Safari by default and keep IE around for those times Safari doesn't work. One or the other has worked on every site for me.

Mail is simpler, Entourage has some nifty features. Nothing stops you from using both, if you want. I use Mail exclusively.

16. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I'm a new convert....
    and I used to use IE and Outlook on my laptops and PCs...

since I saw the light - I only use Safari (LOVE tab browsing!)
    and only use Mail...

was going to use Entourage - but love Mail now...
    couple of small things I miss... but great to sync with iPod and Sony Ericcson T610, oh yeah and .Mac, and backup, and its all so easy!

Seamless integration!

17. Lewisham macrumors member

Quote = Nail + Head

Entourage would be a viable alternative if it worked with Apple Address Book. Not having contacts in the Address Book drove me so nuts I moved, and I would never go back again :) *Everything* expects your Address Book to be tip-top, and if it's not, you really miss out.

I love the way chat programs like Adium or Proteus use the Address Book for contact information, that I put in so I could sync to my phone, but also lets me... etc etc :)

Oh, and another vote for Camino. It seems to me that its a bit quicker than Safari at page renders.

Chris