Opinions: Refurb ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asencif, Apr 19, 2006.

1. asencif macrumors 6502

Hello all...I have been contemplating getting an 23 inch ACD refurb model and would like to know if anyone has a success story with purchasing one from Apple. Also, would I be better off getting it from a local buyer maybe $100 if I could find it. I know the Dell's are cheaper however those ACD make your computer setup look amazing and even makes one's room look better.

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

My experience with Apple's refurbs isn't that good; I've had two refurbs go DOA on me, one was a G4 iMac and, wait for it, the screen gave out within 2 hours.

I also had a warranty swap with Dell monitor where they sent me a refurb on accident; it had several dead pixels.

So, in summary, a monitor is the absolutely last item I would consider getting as a refurb. A computer I probably wouldn't worry so much, but a monitor pretty much (in my mind) is almost certainly a guarantee that you'll have dead pixels.

Oh, and ditch the vanity and get a Dell. Better specs, better exchange policy, better price. :)

All IMO, of course.

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

this was my initial thought too. I'd stay away, unless you think that the discount is worth a couple of dead pixels. Quite honestly though, when your paying that much for a screen, you may as well stretch and get a brand new one rather than risk a referb for a slightly lower price but with dead pixels

4. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

What I meant in my post was maybe getting it from a local seller are around $300 - $400 off and taking a look at it first before buying it. Anyway, yeah I'm looking towards getting the 2405FPW now as they seem to be going for much less when Dell is running a sale. My last debate is whether to go for a 20 or 23 inch. I have looked at those 30 inch screens and I can just see myself using those as a TV.

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

i think that the extra 3 inches really makes a difference! Although 20 is still good. If you end up going for the ACD's though, definitely get the 23 as its high def whereas the 20 isn't