opinions: RSS, blogging, CSS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buckuxc, Sep 30, 2004.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    hey all,

I've been tempted to buy and download the full version of NetNewsWire and MarsEdit along with it. However, I'd like to know if it's worth it. I use NNW Lite right now, and I can just as easily use WordPress from Safari or any other browser. Are there any convincing reasons to buy these apps (I mean other than helping out the starving writers...i'm a starving grad student). How much more does NetNewsWire do than the Lite version? Should I buy the 2.0 public beta or the 1.x version? Does one really need an offline blog editor? I've read somewhere that in the near future regular browsers, i.e., Safari, firefox, etc, will begin integrating these sorts of features: RSS reading, offline blog editing, etc. Should I just wait til this happens?

I'm also interested in CSSEdit. Is this the best app of it's kind around? Is it worth the price? What's a good low cost or freeware/open source (x)html editor? I looked at Composer in Mozilla, but that looked pretty lackluster.

Any suggesetions? Thanks.

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    I use Newsfire for my RSS reading. It is still early beta (v. 0.23) but is very stable and works pretty darn well. As for offline blogging tools, I have never used one. I suppose they could be useful, but I don't see a need personally. CSSEdit is supposed to be the best (and only) CSS editor for OS X. I have been tempted ot pick it up, but haven't had much time to do any designing lately. As far as XHTML editors I beleive there is one called SEEdit or something like that. Not sure what it offers over a standard text editor, butr you might look into it. Personally I just use SubEthaEdit as all I really want is syntax highlighting. You can find links to all of these at MacUpdate.com, just search for them.
  3. andysmith macrumors 6502

Sep 24, 2004
    West Mids, UK
    I use NewsFire for RSS reading - it's an early beta as said, but I haven't experienced a single problem with it yet.

For CSS, I use TopStyle on Windows - I haven't done much Web Design on my Mac yet, but Dreamweaver MX 2004 has a pretty nice CSS editor in.