Opteron vs G5

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Independence, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States

Just thought it'd be interesting to point this out. ;)
  2. Stike macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    We got beaten...
    in PHOTOSHOP!!!

3. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia

4. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2003
    back in London
    I've seen some where that the G5 needs alot of memory for PS to make full potential of its ability. Anyway so what if we got beats. G5 is already six months old. Rev B of G5s are just around the corner. I hope :rolleyes:

anyhow any competition is always good competition (moto)...
  5. the future macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    ...and *win* everything else! So much for the 'the Opteron would wipe the floor with the G5' PC propaganda after it was left out in Apples initial benchmark comparisons.

And if you look closer, the G5 is even almost 700 $ *cheaper* than the Opteron in as-equal-as-possible configurations (unless you build that thing yourself). Go figure!
  6. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    but look at the difference in the AE render times... ;) considering how AE has never really been a Mac strong point... it monsters it. ;)
  7. Independence thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    This quote from the article seems to apply to you.

"You should read some of the angry email I'm getting questioning my methods and motives. Seeing how we're the only web site in the world that has begged for months, driven for miles, and worked for hours to test both the Opteron and G5 as carefully and as fairly as possible, you'd think they could cut us a little slack."

If you'd have actually read the article, you'd have seen that the G5 beat the Opteron in everything but Photoshop. It performed pretty well but you still aren't happy? Take a look at After Effects. It's not exactly a Mac strong point but it still won that portion of the tests. Photoshop was the only test it lost.

G5 optimisations? I'll let you in on a little secret: I don't think any of that software they tested was optimised for the Opteron either.
  8. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Irrelevant benchmarks again !!!!

These Photoshop, rendering and 3D tests only go to prove the lack of expertise in optimising apps for the G5.

If you look at Apples performance figures you will get a more accurate overview of the potential of the G5 and not a test of how well software is written. I understand that we can only use what developers create and if Adobe creates a faster version of PS on the PC then it's obvious that the PC benchmarks are going to be faster.

If that's the case then these threads should be titled:

Adobe's PC dev team VS Adobe's Mac dev team and not Opteron vs G5

For a more accurate measure of actual CPU performance you need to look at highly optimised code libraries available on All platforms. You need to find code that each platform vendor has had, the time, money and expertise to make their respective CPU architecture looks as impressive as possible.

A good set of code libraries do exist in the form of FFT or fast fourier transforms. These highly optimised code libraries and algorithms are at the heart of every decent app used for video, audio and imaging. Each vendor has now had the time to fully optimise their own libraries to compile and execute as fast as humanly possible. Each vendor is allowed and has used every trick up their sleeve to make their CPU work as fast as possible.

And you will agree that the benchmarks are very surprising indeed. Here is an overview of the results that are linked to below (from slowest - fastest):

These are peak results for double precision 1D transforms measured in mflops

Single 400Mhz G3____________________415
    Quad 500Mhz PIII____________________500
    Single 500Mhz Ultrasparc IIe____________810
    Single 733Mhz G4____________________985
    Dual 833Mhz Alpha Eu6_______________1600
    Dual AMD Athalon XP1700_____________1650
    Dual 1.4Ghz AMD Opteron 240 - 32-bit____1730
    Dual 1.4Ghz AMD Opteron 240 - 64-bit____2075
    Dual 2.0Ghz AMD Opteron 246 - 32-bit____2400
    Dual 2.0Ghz AMD Opteron 246 - 64-bit____2900
    Dual 2.2Ghz Xeon____________________2900
    Dual 900Mhz Itanium II________________3025
    Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon____________________3900
    Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon New Code libraries______3900
    Dual 2.0Ghz G5______________________4000

These are peak results for single precision 1D transforms

Dual 2.0Ghz AMD Opteron 246 - 64-bit___4300
    Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon___________________6900
    Dual 2.0Ghz G5____________________10000

These result make it perfectly obvious that the G5 under highly optimised conditions is by far the superior CPU architecture. The full benchmarks including all source code used is freely available from the following site FFTW . You will also see that this site has NO affiliation or preference for any particular platform. Their goal is to simply create the fastest possible FFT libraries for as many platforms as possible.

From the above figures the Dual G5 is:

144% faster then the Dual Xeon and
    232% faster then the Opteron .

These results also have to do with the fact that Apple has produced the fastest FFT code library currently available anywhere, fullstop. These Apple code libraries are also the reason why FCP, DVD Studio Pro and Apple's other Pro apps are the fastest in their respective fields. If Apple were to release a competitor to PS I would stake my life on the fact that it would trounce any crappy Adobe version, even running on the fastest PC available.

So please stop pretending that these other published benchmarks are anything more than a test of the software and how well it is written.
  9. xiliquiern macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2004
    Hmm...interesting. I wonder how that benches against the new AMD-64 FX's.

Anyway...please, please don't say that:
    "as-equal-as-possible configurations (unless you build that thing yourself)"
    thing. Any PC user will tell you that anyone who doesn't build their own PC rarely has anything worth having, and I will say that. Anything you can buy from anyone (including Alienware, Falcon NW, etc.) is almost always absurdly overpriced and made with less that prime parts. Also, building PC's takes about...say...a 7th grade education.
  10. Independence thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
  11. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Actually, I thought the G5 did really well... (no sarcasm)

It won on everything (sometimes by a good margin ~40%!!) except photoshop (which was close), I think you'll see much better results with photoshop compiles with XLC.

And those OpenGL tests, well we'll see once they get the 9800 Pro 256 in the G5, should be pretty close, though does anyone know the clock speed of the 9800 256MB? Its still not as fast as the XT is it?
  12. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    I can't wait 'till they come out with the next round of Power Macs. Hopefully sometime this month. That way, Apple stays competitive, as proven with these benchmarks.
  13. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    The mac is cheaper

Look at the bottom, the Mac is $300 cheaper when they are configured the same. All I have to say is those dells are made of cheap parts, and that is what keeps me busy in the repair room working in the IT department at my campus.
  14. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    BTW - i don't mind.

you show me an opteron that runs OSX and i will care. I got a dual g4 for macos not for blistering render times that make santa look slow.

but yes i do video - but then with tools like imovie/FCE/FCP who wouldn't if they had a mac?
  15. the future macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Oh yeah? Then how do these companys (Alienware, Falcon NW, etc.) stay in business when nobody buys their stuff? I am very sure that the overall percentage of PC users that build their own machines is a lot lower than you think it is.
  16. xiliquiern macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2004
    Those companies stay in business because people fail to realize how simple it is to build a computer yourself. And yes, very few people to build their own PC's.
  17. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    there is no doubt that both machines are real monsters, but the g5 was considerably cheaper and that, for a change, is great news

i hated seeing very inexpensive pcs whip the g4's butt and it was starting to get depressing after two years