Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gadolie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Upstate NY
Hi. I want to copy some old cassettes to CD. I am using an optical cable from my tapedeck Optical out jack to my G5's optical in port.
I'm using Spin Doctor. When I plug in, I get no sound entering my mac and I have "play sound through my speakers" checked. Spin Doctor is recording nothing. I've tried changing the sound preferences to no avail. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Gadolie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Upstate NY
There is no on/off setting that I cn see. Just a dust plug covering the port.
Basic Aiwa mini deck system.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Are you trying to get a digital signal from an analogue source (cassette)? Its not going to work. Analogue sources like radio and tape has to be done through the phono or earphone outputs. The Optical digital is only good for CD and Minidisc.

Gadolie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Upstate NY
Geese: are you saying that the Optical out port on my cassette deck does not provide a means to push analog sound into the mac? So if I read you right, I have to get a cable that will go from my decks phone jack, which is a little bigger than a mini jack, and has a mini 1/8" plug on the other end for this to work? My deck (for some stupid reason) does not have line-out jacks. I knew I was getting excited about "quality" sound
for optical cable for nothing!
:mad:

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
you can take your tape deck, run it to a analog to digital converter, then into your mac. I've used this method with vcr tapes to digitize them. you could find a good quality converter for about 100 bucks.

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
One of the things I did with a old cassette deck was to hook it to a good equalizer and adjust the settings to the point that I thought it sounded good. I also purchased a used Pioneer DAT and ran it into the equalizer. So I record into the DAT and from there into the G5. The old DAT was cheap and it worked.

Brian

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
The only consumer tape that is optical is Philps DAT.

Which dies a short and painfull death thank god.

Never guess i dislike the company.

Gadolie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Upstate NY
It works. I used a cable with mini jack on one end and 1/4" jack on the other.
The only thing is when listening through the speakers, it comes through on one side only. When I played it through iTunes it was on both sides :confused:
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.