optical audio?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cocopelli, Jan 22, 2003.

1. cocopelli macrumors member

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew of a mac compatible sound card that had digital optical output on it ive seen some pc cards with digital coaxial but i have heard so much better things about optical. Also what do you think is the possibility of the next Power Mac revision would ship with such capabilities? I am going to buy the next power mac as soon as it comes out and I would like to have it set up to my stereo but I dont want to compromise any quality. To me it seems like somthing that could easily be integrated onto computers very easily. So what are your peoples thoughts on this? Comments? Any body know why its not more wide spread already?

2. Will Jones macrumors member

So what you are looking for is a Mac-compatible (obviously ;)) soundcard w/ opticalI/O?
    You said that you would like to have your computer set up to your stereo and did not want any loss in sound quality... What exactly will you be wanting this setup for?

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The Sonica and the Sonica Theather from M-Audio have optical out...

Link

irmongoose

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My Sonica's analog audio is great so I expect that the optical out would be better. I'm not certain how much better but measureably.

5. Will Jones macrumors member

Well ya see, that's why I asked him what he was going to be connecting his stereo to his computer for. I don't know what kind of "stereo" he is talking about, but one would assume that unless he is doing this for the purpose of audio/music production, in the end the (noticeable) difference in sound quality between coaxial and optical outputs is going to be trivial.