Optical cable better for digital sound?

Discussion in 'Community' started by bousozoku, Dec 27, 2002.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Does anyone have experience using an optical cable from a DVD or CD player to the stereo receiver?

If so, does it make a perceivable difference?

I'm thinking about spending $35 for the cable but don't think that it's worth that much, as you can only get so close to perfection.

How much better can digital audio become?
  2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    An optical cable might have advantages over coaxial over distances of many miles, but not over distances of a few feet. A digital cable is a digital cable whether it comes from AudioQuest or Radio Shack, and 24-bit 96kHz audio is 24-bit 96kHz audio whether it travels over plastic or copper. The only way one digital cable can possibly be superior to another in a home setup is if the other is broken.
  3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Optical Cable

Yea, we have one from our DVD player to either the amp or the TV (cant remember). They're kind of expensive, but just look for the one that is made for the PlayStation or something. Some game company makes it for game machines, but its the exact same thing as the ones that are sold for around 55 dollars.
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    only thing i know they're good for is connecting DVD players and TVs to home theatre systems, it's much more simple than component plugs. cleaner, too. some pre-packaged theatre systems don't have component anyway. i doubt quality improves any, let alone perceivably...

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    I have on from my playstation to my reiever and sound quality is good, Its a bit hard to tell sometimes, but when watching DVDs the sounds great
  6. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Thanks everyone. I know that the quality improvement is measurable. I just can't decide whether I (or anyone else) can hear that well. Btw, I'm using an analog cable with video, left, and right altogether right now so maybe there's a bigger difference in your perceptions.
  7. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    unless you are an audiophile and and have a $10,000 sound system, it won't matter for you.

if that is the case, then you had better be using optical cable to the receiver and 8 gauge (or less) speaker wire.
  8. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Well, that explains it. I only have about $4000 in it.

Of course, if I buy things like the optical cable, I should be up to $10,000 in very little time. :D
  9. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    On several systems, the optical cable is the only option for digital sound. If you want real 5.1 or 6.1 make sure the coaxial your system has is really a digital input. Sometimes these are simply rca inputs. You are going to get better quality, but the difference depends on your speakers. Same thing with Component/S-Video/RCA/etc. IF you have a great TV, get the best video hookup you can, it will look better.