Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magneto465

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
My original problems was: When I powered on the G4 the screen was black. The boot tone was not present, the drive did not operate, but the fan was running, and power button LED was lit. and after running Norton it works somewhat okay. a big problem persists.
The Combo drive (dvd rom /cd-r) seems to be missing, below are the things I've done to try to figure it out

-when I press the eject button on the keyboard the overlaid eject graphic on the screen stays on for longer then usual and the drive doesn't open.

-When I open Itunes and hit the eject button Itunes freezes and the drive won't open

- I have the eject button on my finder tool bar and it's gray as if that feature was unavailable

- I opened the G4 and reconnected the ribbon cable and the power cable connected to the combo drive (my only optical drive)

- I started up on OS9 and the drive would open but the discs wouldn't mount

- this all happened two weeks after replacing the Power supply unit and the fan as per apple PSU program.

any ideas on what I might need to do?¿
is my combo drive really dead?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.