Optical Drive Problems on Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FleurDuMal, Jul 5, 2006.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    Firstly, I'd just like to say how fantastic the Macbook is. I've had no mooing/whining, no display problems, no discolouration problems. Its also a beautiful example of design.

However, I've encountered a little difficulty with the optical drive (Superdrive). Sometimes it takes two or three attempts at ejecting to actually get a CD/DVD out of the drive. When I try to eject a CD/DVD, the drive makes the whirring sound like its ejecting it, and the icon on the OSX desktop dissappears, but the disk just doesnt eject. Instead it stays in the drive and the Macbook acts just like the CD's been reinserted (i.e. the icon reappears on the desktop).

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it fixable? I haven't seen anything about it on these forums, so I'm wondering whether mine was a one off.

PS - I'm really reluctant to return it as my model seems to have avoided the mooing/whining issues that everyone else has complained about. If I got sent a new one, my luck would be that it'd have every issue under the sun!
  2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Apr 27, 2006
    It sounds like it could just be a bad ejection mechanism in the drive. Slot-loading drives are quite complicated. On the other hand, it might be the media you're using. Are your discs different sizes at all? Does this happen with all types of dics or just a couple/one?

If you experience the problem universaly, you should probably just take/send it in to be repaired. Chances are they won't replace the machine.