Optical mouse just stops working on mirrored G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by quarkman97, Aug 25, 2003.

1. quarkman97 macrumors newbie

Has anyone had this problem before? On a new mirrored drive G4 1 Ghz, the optical mouse just up and stops working with the keyboard.

I've had this problem with using an older keyboard with the mirrored towers where the optical mouse plugged into an older keyboard will not work.

But I just got into work and a co-workers mouse on her G4 just up and stopped working.

We've restarted numerous times, switched USB ports in the back tried different mouse setups and configs (i.e. using old keyboard with new mouse, etc.) But what ended up working was using an old hockey puck mouse with a new white keyboard.

If anyone has any workarounds or hotfixes, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Have you tried ports other than the keyboard's USB? Clean the mouse? Make sure it's on a surface it can actually work on (no glass or shiny surfaces). Lastly, it's possible the mouse just died. Is this a warranty item?

3. quarkman97 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I did was plug the keyboard *directly* into the back of the G4 and plug the mouse into the extension cord that connects *directly* to the back of the computer. Works now

Mouse is brand new. Not using it on a glass surface. Clean as a whistle.

Do those mouse pads that claim they track better with optical mice actually work? Or they just trying to sell snake oil?

Thanks!

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

yeah....i had this problem twice...i don't feel like searching for the threads about it. i know at least one other macrumors memeber has mentioned this problem. basically the apple mouse is prone to shorting out. you should still have applecare or at least the one year applecare warranty...so call apple and explain to them the problem...they will overnight you a new pro mouse.

5. quarkman97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Both mice still work when i plug them directly into the back of the G4.

Should I still have them send me a mouse?

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Call and ask. The "official" mouse location is on the keyboard. When you're troubleshooting hardware problems and they tell you to take out every bit of non-Apple hardware and return it to factory specs, they specify to plug the mouse into the keyboard. Never hurts to ask about it--play dumb: "my mouse doesn't work."

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

usb connections are not allways what you think. you would be surprised at how many problems are caused by bad contacts,dirt, debris.

8. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

9. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I'll just throw out my $.02 here: on occasion, my Kensington trackball doesn't work properly. The only thing I need to do is unplug it from the keyboard and plug it back in, then it finds the correct driver and settings....give that a try the next time it happens.