Optical Out Issues on G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by RichP, Feb 5, 2004.

1. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

First, let me say that G5 revisions will be out next week; I broke down and purchased a new G5 1.8 Dually.

My issue is that my digital optical out appears to work intermittently. Worked when I got the machine home, then the machine went to sleep, when it awoke the optical out ceased to work. Restarted and things were fine. Same thing happened today; went to restart it and it still doesnt work. Cable and stereo setup are fine.

Any ideas? Also, I dont know what is considered "normal" but when I go to Preferences/Sound/Sound Effects, the selection for which to play alerts and effects through is set to Digital Out, but its grayed out. When I first had the machine, it was grayed out on Line Out. It changed on its own.

Ideally, playing music through the optical out would be nice and sound effects through the computer speakers. In addition, I dont think having to restart the machine to make the optical out is normal behavior.

Thanks for the help! Hope I dont have to return the machine.

2. Eric Battle macrumors newbie

Re: Your situation

First of all...I can't help you with your technical problem and I know thats the concern here and I apologize for posting, but I have to ask. Why, if you are certain new machines will be out next week would you "break down and buy" and why not just simply take the machine back - get a new one or wait til next week?

Again, I rarely post here, just read. But I too am eagerly waiting for THE NEW G5 and if I KNEW they were coming out in a few day's I'd just wait. Sorry, just very curious and also excited if your sure they'll be out soon.

Eric Battle

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I have had my touble with optical out as well.
    I found found some sound generating programs change the output rate.
    To get it working I went to MIDI setup utility in the Utilities directory and "fiddle" with the output rate. It works?

I would like to be able to lock down the output rate. iTunes sounds better at 48khz vs 32khz.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Re: Re: Your situation

He knows they'll be out next week because it's law... when you finally break down and buy something, something better replaces it in a few days thus making yours obsolete. He has not "proof" if that's what you're looking for...

5. Eric Battle macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Your situation

Your right, that is law. Hell, if it was nov something like that would happen. I totally agree with that assesment. BUUUUUTTTTTTT...the answer to his problem would simply be take back the machine and get a new one or wait. When you buy something BRAND NEW and your having problems ...NO MATTER HOW SMALL... take it back ASAP! I've been in his position before and tried to solve my problem to avoid returning and its just a pain in the ass. Its easier to just return it for a new one or....wait! Either way, your going to be very, very, very happy with your new computer wether new rev or not. I work at an company that just bought and installed (6) new G5s dual 2.0. Its awesome! Good luck on your decision and your techinal issue.

Eric Battle

6. RichP thread starter macrumors 68000

RichP

With the revisions being out last week..I was just being sarcastic...you know how it works. Personally, I dont think they will have revisions until the summer. If Steve Jobs stays true to "3ghz within a year" I cant see them releasing a revision at 2.2-2.6 now, then a few months later having it up to 3.

Back on topic, I restarted the machine twice, and now it is working right now. However, it seems the problem can come back, I didnt change anything and it has happened a few times.

Also, when I dont use the thing, it is not set to go to sleep, but iChat loses the connection. I am NOT impressed with the G5 experience!

EDIT: I tried fooling with those MIDI settings, and I put it on 24bit output just for kicks, now it wont let me change ANY settings back. it blinks for a second then stays where it was. WTF!

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

When my machine arrived, on a Thursday, iTunes didn't work. I'd put in a audio cd, but iTunes didn't see it. Regular CDs and DVDs mounted properly. I did a clean install, then everything worked.
    Then the bummer part was that on the following Tuesday Apple annouced the dual 1.8s. :(

Perhaps try a clean install. That doesn't work, take it back.

8. Eric Battle macrumors newbie

A clean install is the first thing I plan on doing when I get my new G5. Just clear it and install what you want. Its sorta prevents problems like above-- hopefully. Anyway, I better stop posting, I'm no help to you right now. And I know how annoying it is to have a need to have a problem addressed and receive an email about something miniscule. Sooo, last post. Thanks.

Eric Battle

9. RichP thread starter macrumors 68000

RichP

haha..eric, dont worry about it, at the minimum it keeps the thread at the top of the pile :D

to update everyone: I did a clean install. Seemed to help the audio out, but I was also having dropped internet connection issues too; so I took all 50lbs back to the store, got a new one, and so far, so good. Whole machine seems to be running better. Granted, its possible the clean OS install fixed it and the internet thing was by chance (my powerbook was doing fine on the same connection) but because the machine was only 2 days old, I could return it for a new one rather than dealing with apple care and repair services.

now to reinstall all my programs and see what this thing can do!