Optical to USB or Firewire adapter

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by smather, Jan 2, 2007.

1. smather macrumors newbie

Hi experts - I want to get a digital video signal out of a digital video recorder into my Mac (G4 powerbook). The output from the recorder is digital optical but I dont have an optical video input on my Mac - I only have USB and firewire. I have searched high and low and found lots of analog to digital converting advice in this excellent forum but can't find an adaptor/cable/device that will convert the optical output from the recorder to USB or Firewire input on the Mac. Does it exist?

Thanks

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

To my knowledge, there is no standard optical video connection. The only optical connection in wide use is the digital audio connection used as TOSLINK.

Can you be a bit more specific about what recorder you have, what its video output looks like and what exactly it is called, then maybe we'll be able to help?

- Martin

3. smather thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Martin - its a Sharp TU-R160H DVR but actually I just re-read the instruction manual and its a digital audio output (called SPDIF) - not video. But it also has a video output port that it calls CVBS that looks like the video-S output port on my Mac? Anyway I can connect that up to my PB?

Thanks
    Steve