Optimal peformance

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by dschlow, Sep 5, 2002.

1. dschlow macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2002
    Hey folks. Quick question. Long time Mac user, new to OS X. I recently got a dual gig g4 with Jaquar, and was wondering how to get the best performance from the machine. In OS9 and previous versions I knew exactly which extensions/apps/etc were superfluous and could be shut off. Until i figure out the new system I was wondering if y'all had any advice. mostly i'll be using it for video editing(final cut/afftereffects) and design (quark, photoshop, illustrator. Thanks in advance
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    You got a new dual gigahertz powermac with jaguar and its not performing well enough for you?!?! lol

The best advice i can give you is make sure classic is never turned on unless you are using it... other than that there isnt a whole lot i think many people could tell you about jaguar-specific things since its still pretty new.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Make certain that you have plenty of RAM available. This will save the system from going to the hard drive to swap things.

Also, if you have Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10, get the patches that recently arrived. Supposedly, Adobe fixed the performance problems in Illustrator...we'll see...I just updated.

XPress, of course, is going to need the Classic environment, so make sure the memory is there.

Other than shutting off Classic when you don't need it, I would leave the system as is.

You may want to get the latest version of Suitcase to manage your fonts as I understand Jaguar activates every one of them.