Optimizing Doom 3 Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Games' started by James L, Mar 28, 2005.

1. James L macrumors 6502a

Hey all!

Well, just for sh*ts and giggles I loaded my buddies copy of Doom 3 that he bought for his G5 (which he brags to me about all the time) onto my PB (1.5Ghz, 512MB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 5400rpm HD).

To my surprise, it almost runs decently in lower settings. Now, I am thinking about buying it if I can tweak and get the gameplay a bit smoother.

So, Doomers, what are the tweaks. What settings seem to work best for all concerned?

I am especially interested in hearing from PB users, but this thread should be for all systems.

Cheers!

James

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Well it sounds like to any list of optimizing should be turning off any second cpu you have, as discussed hear earlier.

3. mus0r macrumors regular

I loaded D3 on my 1GHz PB just for laughs....it ran like booty :rolleyes:
    I got like 19 FPS on the lowest rez and settings.

Oh well, that's why I have a G5.

4. James L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good info, but are there any tweaks, or optimizations, to get it running as good as possible.

Things in the config files, that kinda thing.

Cheers!

James

5. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I think Barefeats had some article to tweak a Dual PM G5. But i am not so sure on other computers. I turned off shadows and antialiasing, and all those details to either 0 or low. This helped alot. I play at medium settings and it runs resonably. I have a 1.8 GHz iMac 1 Gig ram.

DjVoTeZ

6. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I believe an extra 1gig ram will help (correct me if I'm wrong PB Doomers).

7. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i read somewhere that on windows you can "unstuff" the files to make it run faster.

not sure if this works on mac though......

8. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Increasing ram to 1gb will reduce hiccups but probably not increase fps. There are also a number of console commands (see tweakguides.com) which probably work just as well on the Mac as they do for the PC version. The commands let you do such things as reduce texture resolution on certain objects, reduce the # of calculations performed on certain types of lighting, reduce the audio sample rate from 44khz to 22hz, etc. The latter may have a pronounced effect given your slow CPU. Since you have 128MB of vram, I'd say your tweaking efforts may be rewarded. Up that ram however!

9. James L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now, for the kicker... where / how do I edit these settings?

10. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Go to tweakguides.com and look under "Advanced tweaking part II". Most of those commands will work (especially the cheat codes). After pressing control+option+~ to access the console, the commands can be entered one at a time, or you can search for the .cfg file and edit that (using Barefeat's instruction's). Note that tweakguide.com address the PC version, but like I said many of the console commands work, you'll just have to ignore specific references to PC video card drivers, etc.