Optimizing the Finder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CyberCat, Sep 6, 2006.

1. CyberCat macrumors member

Jan 11, 2005
    Hi, I have a G4 Mac mini with Mac OS X 10.4.7, and 256MB RAM.

I was wondering if there's any tools or ways to optimize the finder as far as "eye candy" and "gui effects"? (tips to improve the GUI's general responsiveness)

For example, Windows XP has the option under Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Visual Effects Tab > Adjust for best performance, to disable things like animations, shadows, and the like. Does OS X have anything like this?

For example, is there some way to disable (or at least speed up) the minimize/maximize window animation? How about disabling the shadows? The "roll down" effect of dialog boxes?

Anyway, thanks!
  2. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    Not many that I an think of. Would like to hear others' ideas. However, you could definatly use a RAM boost. I think it would make a world of difference all around.
  3. CyberCat thread starter macrumors member

Jan 11, 2005
    Ya, I definitely need to get some more RAM. Unfortunately I got my machine before Apple started shipping 512 in their base Mac mini models. That's a big part of why I want to try to optimize what I already have. (though I do admit that I also did the previously mentioned optimizations on my XP machine even though it already has 1GB of memory, simply because it really does make a large speed difference in everyday usage.) :)