Optimizing Tiger for a 1ghz. powerbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Idioteque, May 5, 2005.

1. Idioteque macrumors member

May 5, 2005
    I feel that my powerbook is a little lagging with tiger. I did an update, and not a clean install. I was just wondering if there is anyhting I can do to cleanup or optimize my computer to run faster. I have 768m ram and really don't want to spend a few hundo to get a gig stick. WHat are some tricks for getting some added power out of my powerbook.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I have a 1Ghz powerbook and 512 RAM and my comp isn't lagging at all in Tiger

I did do a clean install thou....
  3. scionfriar macrumors member

Apr 26, 2005
    Exactly the same. Did a clean install on my Ti 15" 1GHz w/ 512MB and it runs great. Much better than it did in Panther.
  4. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I just did an update and everything is running fine. Most programs open in 1 to 2 bounces in the dock.
  5. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Tiger feels a lot faster than Panther on my 12" 1Ghz 768MB RAM PB. I did do a clean install.

If I was you, I'd backup everything up and then perform a clean install.
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I did an upgrade on my iBook and everything's been working reasonably well but I'm currently in the process of backing up for a wipe-install because I reckon it could be a little faster. I'm gonna add myself to the group of people saying to do the full install option. If you want, I'll post back afterwards to say whether it was worth it.
  7. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    this sounds rather curious. i have an 867 PB and was thinking about a clean install. this has further reinforced my idea that this would be better. my reasoning behind it is b/c i upgraded from jaguar to panther and i didnt want to put a second upgrade ontop of that! the only thing is i dont really feel like loading all of my programs back and personalizing my settings all over again. but, if i did a clean install i could probably customize it and NOT load all the crap i dont need. my 40GB HD is getting pretty full (of music) so i am getting stingy on my HD space.
  8. wheezy macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Alpine, UT
    I did a clean install on my PB, and it goes noticeably faster than it did with Panther, granted I DID spend $150 on a gig Stick'o'ram, but it was very much worth it!
  9. NaMo4184 macrumors member

Mar 1, 2005
    Well if you just updated maybe everything is being indexed right now, but i guess that would be finished by now. Do an archive and install that seems to give me the least problems. Clean in stall isn't really necessary
  10. imaduro macrumors member

Oct 22, 2004
    I did a upgrade install and no problems the powerbook is running fine. It's a 1ghz/512mb.
  11. Idioteque thread starter macrumors member

May 5, 2005
    Where can I get a gig stick for $150? Crucial has them for over $300...