Optimizing Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Majglow, May 5, 2005.

1. Majglow macrumors newbie

May 5, 2005
    I just installed tiger on my G5 power mac (clean install). I use this system as a digital audio workstation and need as much juice as possible. So, I created a DAW User account and I'm wondering if anybody has tips to optimize tiger so that I can get the last bit of performance out of my system.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Its optimized pretty damn good for the G5 processor as it is. I can't see how you would want more optimizations. Tiger now has 64-bit memory addressing, CoreAudio/Image/Video, plus the normal optimization that Apple does for each new major OS X release.

To keep it running fast, repair permissions at least once a month. Download MacJanitor, which runs the unix cron items and cleans out the log files as well as other unix items that build up over time. Also, keep your Mac up to date by install all Tiger updates as they become available as it fixes the left over bugs that have been reported as well as possibly further optimizations for different items in Tiger.
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    This isn't Windows. Unnecessary services are turned off by default. The files system, under a very large percentage of use cases, defragments itself on the fly. There's no real tweaking to do to OS X. Just use it and enjoy.