Optimum game settings on my iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Qoxiivi, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Ok, this may seem like a kind of open ended question, but having just bought a new iMac (in sig) and generally not knowing a lot about computers/graphics cards etc, I'm never really sure what the best settings are for the games I'm playing. I know this may seem very straight forward for a lot of people but I'm wondering what the best settings are for certain games.

For example, I may be playing some games with certain settings and for all I know, someone could tell me that if I tuurned this effect off and dropped such and such effect a little I could increase the resolution and still get a high frame rate. I don't know. I guess I'd just like to know how to get the best out of my new iMac.

The games I have at the moment are Halo and Unreal Tournament 2004. I've yet to play Unreal but I'm halfway through Halo. I run it on:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pixel + Vertex Shaders

Detail Objects
    Model Reflections

FSAA: Off (have no idea what this is/does)
    Lens Flare: Medium (Is this how much glare you get when looking at light sources?)
    Model Detail: High

Resolution 1280 x 800
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, can I squeeze any more from my machine and the game? And, what settings should I go straight to when I boot up Unreal?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the odd nature of my question.

Cheers all :)

Qoxiivi

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I recommend using FSAA at 4x. Your Mac should handle it. FSAA reduces jaggies. Check out these quick snapshots I've taken and you can clearly see how jaggy the horizon and your gun looks with FSAA turned off vs. FSAA 4x.

No FSAA
    [​IMG]

4x FSAA
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Just remember that the higher the FSAA, the lower the framerate will be.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Make sure your performance settings for that G5 are set to Max in your system preferences and the only other thing you can do to increase frames is lower that resolution. Also make sure the latest patches are installed for your game.What you have is what you have. Who says Mac users dont game?

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Even over here we have a special gaming section! :cool: :D

5. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Thanks for this - it does make a real difference and the frame rate hardly drops at all. A bit jerky in places, but overall, it makes an already good-looking game better to look at.

Cheers :)