Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A newly revealed patnent application (March 13, 2007) from Apple which describes dynamically changing keys using OLED (organic light emitting diodes) on each key face. This is similar to the widely-publicized (but not yet shipping) Optimus keyboard:

optimus-keyboard_300.jpg

By modifying the key faces, keys could reflect the current functionality, rather than relying on memorizing shortcuts. When introducing the iPhone, Apple boasted that the lack of physical keys meant that the user interface was entirely flexible.

Article Link

Infinity

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
Perth, Australia
Art Lebedev, Look out, you better ship your overpriced/over-publicized soon to be-but-not-yet-shipped keyboard sometime this decade.

Actually scrap that last paragraph. Bring it on Apple!

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Cool, and unlike Art Lebedev, Apple actually has the cash to pull this off and make it affordable to the masses

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Art Lebedev, Look out, you better ship your overpriced/over-publicized soon to be-but-not-yet-shipped keyboard sometime this decade.

Yeh, maybe the people that bought the Axiotron ModBook will find this keyboard handy! Ha!

jakebot

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
yeah...well, macrumors says "new patent application" where as the article says the patent has "recently surfaced" so (not knowing much about patent applications) couldnt that mean they have patented it a while back? maybe something different than what Optimus has done.

If they got it to a decent price, it would be AMAZING. I use so many pro applications where I need custom keyboards for each. This would greatly help workflow. I've been dreaming of having a product like this for so long.

:)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I'd buy such a keyboard in a heartbeat if Apple can make it just right as they usually do. This one looks bulky but Apple's is most likely a beautiful clean glass board.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
how bout a new mouse...ya know one that doesnt have a trackball on top that becomes useless when you touch it for a month...grrr:mad:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The patent application was filed March 13, 2007

arn

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
If this is ever turned into a real product, I hope Apple include a security lock slot on the keyboard.

Desirable + Expensive + easy to carry + left alone at work = danger ^_^

ejbenjamin

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
This would be a great keyboard for Final Cut users. I've used some Avid systems that have keyboard overlays, but a dynamic keyboard would be so much better. I want the icons to change with context-- e.g., if a key's function changes when I hold down the Shift key, I want the image on the key to change accordingly.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
How about Apple patents ideas that are theirs, not someone else's :rolleyes:

Maybe Apple is patenting a version of this idea that actually works ;)

A corresponding key and manufacturing method, as well as a computer system including one or more such keys are also

This makes it sound like Apple is patenting the whole solution top to bottom, which might get them around the prior art requirement since their whole solution might be considerably different even though the end result is the same. This would also mean though that the scope of the patent would be limited to their implementation.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
New wireless keyboard is 79$. Now I dont even wanna think how much would that OLED be...:eek: Art Lebedev is over 1000$ if Im correct. I guess that it would run 300$ +....at least

JFreak beat me by 3 min :)

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
How about Apple patents ideas that are theirs, not someone else's :rolleyes:

Patent law is a lot more subtle than this. Take a look at the specific claims they make and realize that a patent examiner might reject some of the earlier claims based on the prior art described for the Optimus and allow later ones that build on them to stand. There are some novel innovations in there not described in the Optimus literature, but more than that when filing a patent this scattershot approach is really the only sane way to go.

For that matter, the examiner must determine how "real" the Optimus is. Patents aren't for ideas; they're for ideas reduced to practice. The fact that science fiction authors have written about FTL drives won't stop you from receiving a patent should you invent one.

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK
I think that it would not be build in. Just an external. Do you really use your laptop keyboard all that much?

All the time - I don't have an external keyboard. Something like this would prob be too expensive to justify buying for notebook owners.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
This would be a great keyboard for Final Cut users. I've used some Avid systems that have keyboard overlays, but a dynamic keyboard would be so much better. I want the icons to change with context-- e.g., if a key's function changes when I hold down the Shift key, I want the image on the key to change accordingly.
The Optimus does that, if you go to the site and mess with the demo, you would see how awesome of an idea this is...

New wireless keyboard is 79$. Now I dont even wanna think how much would that OLED be...:eek: Art Lebedev is over 1000$ if Im correct. I guess that it would run 300$ +....at least

JFreak beat me by 3 min :)
Optimus is only 430USD so I would figure Apple could do one for half price if they make a whole lot of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.