Option/Alt Key not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hummer, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

The Option/Alt Key on my ibook is not working. I do not think it is the actual key as I am using a third party keyboard, I unplugged it and tried using the actual key on my ibook and it still doesn't work. I'm just getting alt codes. I tried rebooting and repairing permissions. Please help.

Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any key changer apps or hacks installed? If you create a new user account in System Preferences, does the problem carry through to that account? :)

3. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

4. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Does the keyboard come with any special drivers...I know that when I installed my printer it worked perfectly no extras needed, but some functions only worked after using the supplied Mac OSX drivers on CD. If not you may have to dig out the manual (eventhough reading them is such a bore). Hope this helps.

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I have the same problem with the fn key on my powerbook. It stopped working completely. During the end of its days, I had to hit it a couple of times to get it to work but now it is completely dead. I have no clue how to fix it :confused:.