option key?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mauly, Jun 16, 2005.

1. mauly macrumors 6502

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

It's the one marked alt and/or the symbol

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Depends on your keyboard.
    But it should be next to the Apple key (obviously not the spacebar).

4. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I thought it was that one. thanks..

It was my fault - I was hitting opt - delete, rather then opt - back delete!!! I've just downloaded photoshop and have been messing around a bit :)

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

That took me about a month to figure out! I still get confused by seeing ^A I keep thinking its shift and A, but its control and A.. sneaky macs :D

Not wishing to bombard you with information, but here is a place with lots and lots of Photoshop tutorials.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you saying that the Macs sold in England don't have 'option' printed on the Option key?

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Are you saying that the Macs sold in New Zealand have 'option' printed on the Option key? (It's not printed on my keyboard, at least)

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I guess your viewpoint is the opposite from mine ;)

But yeah, the keys are all labelled with names - esc, tab, caps lock, shift, control, option...

9. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

It depends on your keyboard. My powerbook keyboard only shows the symbols whereas my bt keyboard says option/alt instead. Don't think it differs by country!

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think it's Apple's little standing joke. I've been asked so many times where the option key is. They persist in calling it that in the literature, but as far as I know it's never been called that on the keyboard.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe not on your keyboards...

It's on my standard iMac and iBook keyboards. Alt up the top left of the key, option in a bigger sized font down the bottom and centred.

12. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The proof.

Attached Files:

13. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

My old iBook (300Mhz Tango, UK) has

ALT

OPTION

on the key, like the one above ^ :)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My iBook and Pro Keyboard had both 'alt' and 'option'. The keyboard that came with my old LC III said 'option' only.

15. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm quite sure that every US English desktop keyboard Apple has sold in the past 10 years (I think longer, but don't have one handy to check) has had "Control" and "Option" clearly printed on their respective keys, and "Option" has had a little italic "alt" above it since at least the original iMac days. That's why all the literature uses this convention.

Command, however, has only had the Apple key and the corresponding symbol for as long as I can remember--that one's easy to figure out from the symbol in the menus, but confusing to new users who read "Command-Q" or something.

Say, does anybody out there still get the urge to call it "Open Apple" instead of "Command" or just "Apple"? being an original Apple //c user, there was always open and closed apple (what the heck was closed apple even used for?), and even though the Mac has had only one apple key from the begining, it's always been an open one and I always want to say "Open Apple" even though I catch myself and say "Command" like a good little boy.

Habits learned young die hard.

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That's a bit of a pet peeve with me. The keyboard shortcuts always use the option symbol, but on my computer it says "option" on the key. I always have to take a minute to remind myself that the goofy slash/superscript hyphen symbol means "option."

17. itchster macrumors member

Both My UK iBook and UK Apple Keyboard have the Icon not the word Option

18. Makosuke macrumors 603

How interesting. Just had a look at the high-rez product photos of the PowerBook at Apple's site, and the option key on the US iBooks and PowerBooks definitely look the same as the desktop keyboards, meaning no symbol, words only.

Must be one of the lesser-known differences on non-US keyboards. I wonder why that is--perhaps something to do with legacy keyboards? Or is the UK English keyboard also used for other non-English European languages, in which case it'd make sense to lable as little as possible in English? (But then there's delete, control, caps lock, etc... I can't remember if those get localized on Japanese keyboards, but I'd assume they do in other European countries.)