Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mamcx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Hi, for my new app I wanna the option to print tickets (text only).

I wonder if any of the available termic or POS style bluetoot printers work (or can work) with a iPhone app...

fenrus110

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
well there are apps that use the wireless network connectivity to download/upload files from and to the phone. you might try doing something along those lines.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Text only over a networked printer ought to be possible.

Hi, for my new app I wanna the option to print tickets (text only).
If you are doing text only you should be able to print something to a networked printer. Notice the words ought and should, as I haven't done this myself, but right now the only practical way to do so would be over WiFi. For a serially attached printer you might have luck with a WiFi print server.
I wonder if any of the available termic or POS style bluetoot printers work (or can work) with a iPhone app...

This is where Apple is really screwing the pooch as BluTooth has been all but forgotten from what I can see. Right now they just don't support the profiles that would make this work, not even serial profile. So you can either whine and register a defect with Apple or you can jail break the unit.

Again this is third party but it is my understanding that the hacking crowd has come up with a more robust BluTooth stack. At least that (if it works) would give you an alternative to WiFi. A WiFi has the potential to be more robust if you are walking around with a hand held device so I'd recommend looking in that direction.

I haven't gone looking for any print API's but I'm pretty sure the iPhone SDK comes sans printing capability. You really should need that anyways if the data is a simple txt stream.

Dave

Dave

mamcx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
For a serially attached printer you might have luck with a WiFi print server.

ANd whta is that? Is possible have a pocket-size wireless printer for a person in the field?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.