Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
So quick question here for you guys. I'm looking to rip episodic DVD's to my hard drive in AVi or MOV format for future playback (got a massive collection and want to avoid rummaging through them) What's the best option? Does Handbrake give me an easy way of ripping by episode or is there a simpler way? Any ideas?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Use handbrake and queue each episode. I prefer to use something like Mac The Ripper to rip the whole DVD to the HD first though so your optical drive isn't spinning for hours on end while it encodes.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
there are a few MTR threads around here...but the short of it is that you can still download 2.6.6 from various places. runs fine on intel machines via rosetta as well. 3.0 is currently in beta form and is only obtained if you donate to the developers...word is it will be available any day now, but don't hold your breath.

on topic - i think handbrake is the best/easiest/fastest way to go.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
road dog said:
http://www.roxio.com/popcorn

popcorn 2 does exactly what you want.

copies dvds, and also converts dvds to mpeg4, h.264 or divx.
has a preview option so you can pick exactly which movies or extras you want.

Yeah, but Handbrake is free.. :p ;)

Seriously, yes, Popcorn is a good app - but it is integrated in Toast 7, so if anything you might just want to pick up a copy of Toast so you can do everything Popcorn can do - and more. :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
road dog said:
actually, popcorn 2 has alot more than what's in toast.

see the comparison chart... toast 7 has popcorn 1 features in it.

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/popcorn/why_upgrade.jhtml

I'll check out that link, thanks. I was under the impression that the only difference between Popcorn 1 and 2 was that 2 let you convert movies to iPod-friendly format, which obviously iSquint lets you do for free. If there are other features though, that's cool... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.