Optura 600 No Ichat?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Beerbelly6219, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Beerbelly6219 macrumors newbie

Ok just got a Canon Optura 600 and I can't seem to get iChat to work with it via firewire. I put the cam in network mode, start iChat. iChat see's the camera, but all I get is a black screen. A lot of times I get the message that the camera isn't available because another program is using the camera. I hope my cable is good, it's a firewire to DV cable I got with a powermac years ago. I have used the cable and it does pull files off the camera in iPhoto. I also tried using the camera in Photobooth and it sees the camera, but again I get a black screen. Since this is a new cam, I don't have a Tape, could it be because I have no tape?

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The Optura 600 DOES have firewire, I have the camera.
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/co...resAct&fcategoryid=166&modelid=11733&pageno=5

I havent tried it with iChat, but I know all the documentation states it will only work as a web cam with Win machines?

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Try putting the camera in regular camera mode, the mode you would use to shoot regular video with.

6. Beerbelly6219 thread starter macrumors newbie

About to pull my hair out... (and I'm half bald) Ok it works with iMovie, but for the life of me I can't get it to work with iChat. The only bit of success I've had was to put it in Camera mode, network mode just doesn't work. When I put it in Camera mode it either shows a black screen, but if I unplug the firewire, then plug it back in I get about 5 seconds of working video then the frame freezes. The camera does have a firewire connection although Canon didn't supply the firewire DV cable. The cable I have came from either a G3 or G4 powermac. (Apple packed it with the computer) I think the cable is OK, because I can grab movies from it using iMovie or image capture.

Well thanks for the help thus far.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Neither the camcorders manual nor canon's website mention the ability to use as a web cam with OS X, they ONLY mention Win XP and it requires specific software. Call Canon support and see what they say