Optus cable on a mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mmmdreg, Feb 10, 2003.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

All you Aussies out there, does Optus cable work on a Mac just fine even though they don't officially support it? Does it need software like Telstra or can it be done in the system preferences?

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

ok i have optus and here is how you connect it:

turn off cable modem
    turn off mac
    plug supplied ethernet caable into mac
    turn on modem
    turn on mac

there is nomore to it. jjust ignore what the morons say and tell them you use OS 9.

it keeps them happy.

also yo do need some pretty special software - and OS :D

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Well dreg , optus actually make it easy to connect to the net, you don't need any third party app to log onto the net, its all set in your system prefs. Easy as .

But one thing, when they come out to install everything turn it over to OS9, then copy the settings into OSX, they don't deal with OSX yet.

If you want some more info on it, ask Beej he has optus cable, he can help you with anything

4. saint macrumors regular

It's not just that they don't officially support osX, the morons actually tell you that it will not work on os X.

In fact it's really easy to set up, even with a network. you just set the network prefs to use DHCP, and it sorts itself out.

5. Lz0 macrumors regular

I got Optus cable hooked up about three years ago (pre OS X). They sent out two dudes with a box gull of ethernet cards and no idea what to do, they were dumfounded when I put the userid into the DHCP and it just worked. I think they went home early that day.

6. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

yeah, it's always amusing to watch the 'techies' fumble through a folder full of step by step instructions... "click the x in the top right corner, that's right the red one, no the X!!!!"

7. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

mac15 is right, I have Optus cable. It's easy to set up. Ready?

Open System Preferences
    Click 'Network'
    Select 'Configure using: DHCP'
    Quit System Preferences
    Open Safari
    Browse away...