Opus Meets Apple

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anybody see the "Opus" comic strip in last Sunday's paper? It was a pretty good Windows-bashing cartoon.

I haven't been able to find it online -- and I don't have a scanner -- but it goes like this:

panel 1 - Opus: "One year and 6 million words later, I'm finished with my first book: 'Computers for Idiots and Penguins.' And now...the grand "Save"!

panel 2 - BLIP! Computer screen goes blank.

panel 3 - Opus clicking furiously: "No no no no no no"

panel 4 - Opus freaks out: "Aaigh!!"

panel 5 - Opus has apparently thrown his computer out his second-storey window, where Steve Dallas and son come across it. Son: "I think that's why they called it 'Windows.'"

By itself, that's kind of an old gag. But...check the title of the strip, at the very bottom of the page: "Opus"...where the "O" is drawn kind of...well, kind of like this:

[​IMG]

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I saw that and tried to find a link to the strip itself but couldn't. Apparently he doesn't post regular updates (at least no daily strips) on his website (berkeleybreathed.com).

3. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

That's classic. I didn't notice that the first time, I saw the apples spilled out of the bag, but not how one had replace the O!

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sounds cute, but I hope I need hardly point out that only a total idiot would go that long (1) without saving and (2) without backing up their work. :rolleyes:

5. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Yeah, and nobody in the comics ever does something that is slightly unrealistic... :rolleyes:

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You've never met Opus before, have you? ;)

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, yeah.

But I guess my point was that editorializing about something, as Breathed is obviously doing about Windows, only really works if you treat things fairly. For him to imply that Windows sucks because it won't let you go a solid year without saving or backing up your work (when we all know that it would be stupid to try this), and the further implication that a Mac will (again, when we all know that it would be stupid to try this), is rather unfair.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hey, dat's what is my Iacocca! (Remember that?)

I read Bloom County and Outland consistently growing up... I always thought it was pretty funny. I don't get to read Opus because the local paper doesn't carry it, and I don't read newspapers anymore (I get all my news online).

9. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Unfortunately Outland and Opus don't hold a candle to Bloom County. I know Breathed went through some major legal and political battles, and it's obviously left a mark on his outlook on life.

But for a lark go back and read the old Bloom County's they are as good today as they were when they came out. The best part is the names of the politicians haven't even changed!

10. Chubypig macrumors 6502

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Way to go! Thanks for finding that.

I feel exactly the same way. Bloom County was definitely Breathed's "golden age", and the strips he's produced since then have been very uneven.

But exactly what battles did he go through? Any details?

12. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I'm pretty sure there were several, but I don't remember.

The one I do remember, is Disney sued him for copyright infringement over Mortimer Mouse in Outland. That's what led to the famous scene of Eisner biting a chunk out of Mortimer's ear (heh, he never was one to back away from a fight).

I seem to remember he got in a bad motorcycle accident sometime around the end of Bloom County, and I think that changed things as well.

What I find with Outland (and Opus, although not as much) is that he has become very bitter over the years. Bloom County, with it's kids and especially Opus, had a charming innocence within the cynicism. I was hoping Opus the cartoon would bring some of that back, but I don't think he's capable of it anymore.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Geez Louise, it's your assumption that he was such a doofus he didn't save for a year and then ya call it unrealistic! It could have been any kind of failure or crash - blue screen, GPF, VBS virus, insert whatever fatal event you want here - that munges the data on the drive, even if it was saved 5 minutes ago. 'Course, that's NEVER happened to me - hack, cough ...

Anyway, I see your Opus and raise you one Doonesbury -- remember the "Newton" series?

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, to me the phrase "One year and 6 million words later... and now... the grand 'SAVE'!" implies that he has not saved his work prior to this point. And even if he had, he should still have a backup of his work on removeable media. :)

And yeah, I do remember Trudeau makin' fun of the Newton. Classic.

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm looking at that easter egg as we speak...

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I wonder if the changes over the last 10+ years in our nation has anything to do with it? Not wanting to go down a political road too far, but we are nation that is even more divided. Rich/poor, Republican/Democrat, and so much more. Today, we are less likely to give up ground on any matter that we believe in. It is a sign of weakness. Weakness does not lead to success. Success does not lead to the money. Remember, "greed is good". Some have not lost sight of that it seems.

17. KCK macrumors regular

I always get a kick out of the Foxtrot comic and their home computer which is an iFruit. Here is the latest appearance of the family iFruit computer

http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/2005/01/25/

a different kind of spyware :)

18. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Here's a great collection of Foxtrot comics :)

19. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Hey Chubypig, how did you find that strip on the Breathed website? My paper doesn't carry Opus either, it would be nice to check his site every week for the latest Sunday strip.
    Thanks!!

20. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Hey Chubypig, any word on this week's Opus strip?

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I remember when he was interviewed about the new strip he said it was not going to be available online, now it's on his own site. Of course he also said it was going to be a half a page in the Sunday comics but my local paper has already shrunk it down (not that I'm complaining a half page of newspaper is too large to scan in).