OQO Device...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Timothy, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Timothy macrumors 6502

OK...now this is moving more in the direction of a true portable PDA/Computer. A small upstart company out of San Francisco released details today about their soon-to-be-available product:

Get the details here: http://www.oqo.com

BTW...this company was founded by the guys who designed the Tibook. My question is...why did they feel a need to go to the PC world to develop this device? Why is SJ so stubborn on the portable/pda issue?

This device uses the same hard drive as the iPod. It also has a firewire port, USB port, 802.11 and bluetooth wireless. Battery life is claimed to be 9.5 hours.

I couldn't tell, however, what it uses for input. Does it come with a stylus? Is the screen a "touch" screen allowing handwriting recognition? Are there any HWR programs that run on XP?

Take that device, with a few modifications, scale OSX down, and that's what I am waiting for.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: OQO Device...

Absolutely!

This is what Apple should be showing us, and now we have a new device that runs Windows XP, 256 Megs of RAM and a processor the runs upto 1 GHz and a Color LCD!

All I can say is Apple dropped the ball here. Given a few good aps and it gives PC users a better iPod and more. Hopefully the price keeps most people away, but if its ~$500 its going to hurt Apple.

3. Timothy thread starter macrumors 6502

My guess...

is that it will price at around $999.

And even at that, I may consider buying it rather than a 10 gig iPod. Even though I hate Windows, the price point/functionality of such a device would be much better than the iPod. I've held off on purchasing the iPod, first because I needed a bigger HD, and then because with the price jump to $499, I just couldn't justify it based on the very limited functionality of the device.

This device is showing what is now possible with latest technology.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But they're not even shipping tell the end of 2002, so we might not see it for a while. And with Apple's buying spree lately, maybe they might just scoop it up before it goes to market. Now that would be cool!

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It does use a Transmeta processor, so with a pretty hefty update from Transmeta it could be x86 AND PowerPC compatible. Wouldn't that be great?

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: OQO Device...

Specifications include a Synaptics touchscreen...

Man, how cool this would be in sleek stainless steel, with a big Apple logo on it, and the signature blue X in the middle of the screen...

i never thought they'd bring things this far... but obviously they have, so WAKE UP APPLE

:)
    pnw

7. atodd macrumors member

That looks insanely great, except for it's WinXP.

Dagnabit! I hate Windoze!

Other than that, it's a really nice machine. I want one.

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i like the idea of apple maybe scooping it up before it hits the market. if the company truly was started by former apple employees, then i think the possibility is very great given apple recent buying spree. i'm sure the software dept could easily come up with something to suit transmeta's processors while remaining x86 incompatible. it wouldn't be too hard to do a couple design tweaks, slap an apple logo/OS on it, and push that sucker out the door. let's hope they consider this a viable option.

9. Timothy thread starter macrumors 6502

Temptations...

This is the first Windows-based computing device that has ever tempted me. The form factor is just too cool...I've been thinking about this machine all night!

If I recall, Apple has already developed "Ink Well" for OSX, correct? If they were to release this little device running X, it might be perfect: iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, all in the palm of your hand. Can you imagine being able to dump your movie clips right into this thing from your DV camera, and create an iMovie on the bus? I can think of a million uses for this device...

This is what a PDA should be! This is what I am waiting for.

Apple? Don't let me down...

10. Timothy thread starter macrumors 6502

PPC Chip?

BTW...is there a PPC chip that would fit into this configuration in the way that the Transmeta chip does?

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    according to today's l.a. time's : oqo will be licensing the technology to other companies. and its uncertain whether oqo will even make a model of their own...you can bet that if those licensing agreements have been signed apple won't be interested.

and you can infer that if this company is doing this much pr 6 months before the product even ships( which means a year...) they're beating " someone" to the market--which could be apple or m$.

it'll be interesting to see who really hits the market first ( and with what ).

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

NFW

With the price of the main unit at $1000, how much are the add-ons to actually give it real functionality?? That will be the kicker. If it costs another $300-$400 to get the keyboard, mouse, and decent screen size (adapter, not including a screen) I can't see it doing well. Especially if people don't have a monitor to plug it into already. I would rather pick up a 12" iBook then that thing. Never mind the fact that it is designed to run windsucks heXPee.

How are you supposed to put your cd's onto it to listen to them?? Are you going to have to get an external cd-rom drive?? I would bet it won't sync up like the iPod does.

Looks like someone's idea of nickel and diming you to death once you buy the main unit to get the functionality they are claiming it will have right away.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: NFW

The $999 price tag was a guess from Timothy. There isn't any pricing available from OQO, so who knows.

14. Timothy thread starter macrumors 6502

Price point...

Upon some further research, I did see in one of the articles on their site the very price point I guessed. So, that is clearly their target.

I am not that interested in the "docking" capabilities per se...I just want it as a stand alone unit. And, if we have pen input for the road, and a simple USB keyboard plugin in my office...that's all I need.

Certainly, I want this with OSX. That would be ideal. But, it may be very tempting to me as a Windows XP unit. For this reason...I also don't have an Apple OS Branded PDA...so I have to choose a non-apple portable unit anyway. And, I don't like Palm, and if I have to take PocketPC, I might as well just go with XP and gain incredible functionality by comparison. This is one of the downsides of Apple ignoring the ultra-portable market. For those of us who need it, we are forced to go elsewhere. And, an iBook is not an ultra-portable.

Is any of this my first choice? Absolutely not. I've been pleading for Apple to release something like this for years now. Many of you on this forum have decided that you think it would be a waste of time for Apple to release a product like this, which I can't even begin to comprehend.

With regards to the whole digital hub, this device would fit perfectly.

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Find an article about it here... http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0204/17.vets.php

If you want just a handheld, you can get one for less then half the price, that should do just about anything you need. Granted, it won't have the storage (at least not 10GB, you can get the 1GB microdrive though) or RAM numbers.

It looks like they are trying to make it out like a tiny peecee, which you would need to do too much to it to get that level of functionality. IF they had OS X on it, that might be different, since it would essentailly be an Apple portable device (not using pda since it would do more).

I saw one of the new 12" iBooks a few months back, to anyone other then a child, they are ultra-portable. Tuck it under your arm, just like a school book. If you are not going to be using it for several hours, you won't need the AC adapter, which cuts down on what you need to carry. The iBook already has a keyboard and nice pointing device built in. I find that the stylus is not even close to as good as a trackpad when it comes to computer level tasks. On pda's it works, but that is about all.

16. Timothy thread starter macrumors 6502

iBook not an ultra-portable...

OK Alpha ;)

I, like you, ride a motorcycle. I often take 2-day trips on my bike. I already own a Pismo, and it is not a good match for such portable needs. And, though the iBook is smaller, it is still not a truly ultra-portable device. Can you imagine taking your iBook with you EVERYWHERE? That is the point of "ultra-portable." With a device such as the one from OQO, I could stop in at any Starbucks, at anytime, and surf the web and get email. R

And, I am extremely aware of what can and cannot be done with the current handhelds. The only one that begins to come close is the new Sony Clie with the clamshell. But, even that only comes with a standard 16mb of memory. And, in such a configuration, it still costs $600; no firewire, no 802.11, no bluetooth, very minimal capabilities. And, as I've stated before, its still not an Apple-branded OS. I don't find very much that is attractive about the Palm OS. So, if I have to compromise on the OS, I might as well go with XP; again, primarily because the functionality it would give me over Palm would be astronomical.

This is not a comparison between buying an Apple product or a MS product; there is no comparable Apple product. I'd give my money to Apple in a heartbeat, but SJ doesn't seem to care about this extremely important part of the digital lifestyle. I grow weary of waiting absent any indication from Apple that they intend to provide something in this niche.

With all due respect, I don't think you've really thought the idea of Ultra-portable through if you seriously think that an iBook fulfills such a need.

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Timothy, good to see that you have brains :D.

I actually have taken my TiBook on several day trips on the motorcycle. I have a very nice backpack carrier (it is light, which helps) that I can fit anything that I would need into (computer items). With the new ride's saddlebags, I can fit anything else that I would need for that day. I agree that the Pismo wasn't as portable as the TiBook, even though the TiBook is larger in some dimensions, it is lighter.

In the bag, I typically toss, one of the laptop podium stands (to give it some swing and a little more air flow), mouse pad (HD emblem on it :D ), MacAlly optical mouse, the AC adapter, 30GB VST thin FireWire drive and cable. I also have a full letter sized pad of grid paper, my iPod and headphones, checkbook, pens, cell phone hands free kit, cell phone charger, sometimes a few magazines too. Total weight is typically in the 8-12 pound range, and the pack makes it feel like almost nothing. I plan on making a trip soon for a full day of riding. I will be tossing a cooler into one saddlebag, along with food (just in case ;) ) and keeping the other open for my jacket. If I was going someplace for a stop-over, I could easily fit a change of clothes (parts that are necessary :D ) into the same bag where I will be putting the water and such. Hell, I might even be able to squeeze it in with the jacket.

18. Timothy thread starter macrumors 6502

Motorcycling and computing...

Yeah...I've got a Brenthaven Executive backpack that is SWEET! Plus, I've added a trio of Givi Luggage to my bike for added packing. I'm getting ready to do my first two day trip of the Spring this weekend.

Now...if I just had an OQO with OSX...I'd be done with tech purchases for a while. ;-)

Yeah, right!

19. ejm625 macrumors newbie

Re: PPC Chip?

The transmeta chip uses some kind of software to deal with the instructions it gets before it goes to the processor. It uses fewer transistors and has a variable clock speed. Also, it will adjust the processor speed of some programs to make them run faster and others to make them run slower. The idea is that the typical user isn't going to use a ton of processor intensive programs so a constant 2 GHz clock speed is a waste.

The Idea that Windows XP will run on this thing is a joke. XP is designed for a computer with a keyboard and mouse. Now if M$ were to develop some XP embedded handwriting recognition software into the operating system it would work like a champion. If not, well, non-native apps for windows (take netscape, which is dog slow on windows but not so bad on OS X) don't seem to run very well. Other than that, I think it's an amazing looking thing.

I'm thinking this thing would be amazing with linux on it... That'll happen about 5 years later when all the hackers figure out how to port it.

So with that said, apple will have a perfect model much much sooner.

20. ejm625 macrumors newbie

Did more research....

Essentially the Transmeta chip uses an software emulator to convert commands to process. Technically, transmeta could come up with an emulator for RISC processors, hence making their product available for Apple. Could you imagine a iBook with this technology? Cooler, lighter and a battery life of like 7 hours or more... Yeah, It'll never happen.

21. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

excellent

I expect this device to see very well. Further I think this is the wave of the future. Docking stations will be os independent. you roll up to a kiosk in the airport , plug in your handheld device, and bam, you are connected with os x, the guy after you plugs in with xp, etc.

This is slick. Apple should be all over something like this. Business travelers would snack these up.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Sorry, but I don't get the appeal of this thing. I use a pda for small stuff, and would use an ipod for music and if possible pda stuff, but I certainly don't want to use a tiny screen thing with a separate keyboard as my main travel computer.

I'd rather carry a laptop AND a pda rather than try to cram them together.

It's just not all that functional for a business user.

23. robodweeb macrumors member

I don't care what SJ calls it ...

... but he needs to "think different(ly)" and recognize that what OQO calls "ultrapersonal" and the industry trend towards UBIQUITY will sweep Apple into history if he misses this boat.

I used a PB (G3 and G4) for several years, until I changed jobs last year (and returned to grad school). While using it, I realized that I - and everyone else with a laptop or PDA - always had a pad of paper with me to jot down notes, etc. that we later had to transcribe into our computers. You can't get more ubiquitous than transforming the pad of paper and pen/pencil combination into a modern, digital tool!! Anyway, I realized that laptops and PDAs were only stopgap measures in the trend towards a "digital pad of paper", networked, capable of truly supporting me as I went about my business. I described some of it in the thread at: http://www.macslash.com/comments.pl?sid=02/03/11/2158252&cid=16

Thanks to this thread, my "vision" of what I think it should feasibly be like has evolved:

1. I'd been thinking in terms of iPads ... Newton functionality updated to OS X on iPod-like hardware (or an iBook-sized, or smaller, Powerbook with a display that could fold all the way back so that your laptop copuld turn into a writing pad), with multimedia input capability (such as could support basic videoconferencing). The main drawback with this vein of thought was the high cost of LCD displays.

2. I don't have a Powerbook now because I have a G4 at home, another at school (along with a PC) and, to be honest, I have no need to edit videos or photo albums or do graphic design while I'm going about my daily life. However, a device with more functionality than the current crop of PDAs, that could move with me and integrate with my "digital hubs" would be extrmeely attractive for me and my colleagues.

So, I was to toss this idea out:

1. An OQO-like device, running OS X (10.2 or later)
    2. A Bluetooth pen that could work on any surface (incl. a color LCD display on the OQO, but not necessarily); I'm not wedded to Bluetooth itself, just the functionality that supports a "personal area network"
    3. iPod-style hard drive > 10Gb
    4. Firewire, USB
    5. Camera+microphone peripheral; handheld scanner attachment, a couple of inches wide, and software that can automatically stitch them together into one file and, please, OCR it and auto-index it for Sherlock 3 searches? (hey, I'm a grad student, but this would've been handy even when I was at NASA)

Rather than necessarily writing on the OQO display, the Bluetooth pen could transmit my writing/drawing to the OQO+OS X, which "recognizes" it ala Inkwell and stores it locally as an electronic file (that later auto-syncs to my G$ "hub"). Perhaps the Bluetooth pen could also have room for an ink cartridge, for instant visual feedback of my writing/drawing (not to mention an instant, hard-copy "backup")? Sure, it should have additional functionality when used with the OQO-OS X display (hopefully color-Aquafied, though that's not strictly required for my needs).

If it has Bluetooth, then it would be nice if it could automatically act as a conduit for any Mac or PC that I've set up to use it ... performing on-the-fly translations of my handwriting to emulate keyboard/mouse input for either OS.

This combination keeps the cost down, over a solution with a large LCD display, and provides the functionality that I think will be increasingly critical to an increasingly savvy/demanding consuming public. SJ ceded the desktop and organization "back rooms" to Microsoft and has tried to stake out a claim at homes and schools. SJ needs to get over his PDA-phobia.

Forget about the institutions in which people do things, Stevie, and focus your efforts on the people themselves. Don't abandon the potential for revolutionizing the stagnating industry you helped to create.

24. aggemam macrumors member

Mmmm...

I find the OQO device ugly. And navigating their site is a hassle :)

But it's specifications are good. Very good. It's just the wrong platform :)

25. revmoore macrumors newbie

Bluetooth pen on paper

Quote from robodweeb:
    Rather than necessarily writing on the OQO display, the Bluetooth pen could transmit my writing/drawing to the OQO+OS X, which "recognizes" it ala Inkwell and stores it locally as an electronic file (that later auto-syncs to my G$ "hub").

check out this digital pen technology. Pretty good for combining with Inkwell:

http://www.anotofunctionality.com/navigate.asp