OQO, not for Mac except history

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wdlove, Mar 24, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    OQO was founded in San Francisco by a group of engineers and designers from organizations including Apple Computer, IBM research, MIT, Bio-Rad, and NASA. Jory Bell (CEO) and Joe Betts-LaCroix (CTO) set out to create the smallest full-powered personal computer. Together with Michael Prichard, Nick Merz, Robert Ford, and Andrew Popell they formed OQO in 2000. Their vision was to transform personal computing in the same way mobile phones revolutionized telecommunications.

Integrative collaboration among the design and engineering groups has been fundamental to OQO's philosophy. Experts in electrical and mechanical engineering, industrial design, software, and operations work together from concept through production. This functional structure has allowed OQO to rapidly advance the state of the art in PC architecture.

*The company's initial proof of concept was unveiled at WinHEC 2002, signaling the next era in personal computing. The OQO ultra personal computer will be widely available in the second half of 2004.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    That thing has been vapor ware for 2 years. I'll believe it when I see it being sold.
  3. bwawn macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    Agreed. I remember when I first saw the web site for this thing almost three years ago, I was intrigued. I kept updated on it, checking the site frequently, only to see its initial release pushed further and further back. It was originally slanted for a 2002 release, as far as I know.

However, it does seem to have many more features now than originally promised. I don't recall 802.11b, Bluetooth, the docking station, or the slide-out keyboard ever being mentioned before. The slide-out keyboard seems to be the most dramatic change to me.

I will be very interested if this thing really does come to market. It's not going to be terribly fast -- a 1GHz Transmeta Crusoe processor is a pretty weak CPU, significantly slower than a similarly-clocked Pentium or PowerPC -- but it is going to be terribly convenient, and I fear terribly expensive.
  4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    if any of you recall the previous concept, you realize that this thing is a HUGE upgrade. it's a great concept. i DO think this kind of thing is what the pda/laptop market is heading towards (but i dont' think it will make a dent in laptop sales). pdas are a great idea, but, IMO dont' serve the needs of the average user. they just dont' have the right mix of features/functionality yet. unfortunately, this oqo is well above average, and it's cost will probably reflect that.

i think my new ibook will last me awhile, though. i sure wont' buy one.
  5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I definitely have no desire for the OQO, just thought that I would post ti for everyone's enjoyment. What I enjoyed the the historical information at the beginning.