Oracle scandal rocks CA

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rower_CPU, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

From CNET.com:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-893581.html?tag=fd_top

Apparently this guy awarded Oracle a contract without any competitive bids and with little justification.

I know from recent experience at the university where I work that migrating to Oracle databases has caused a lot of trouble with various accounts and PO processing.

This line really jumped out at me:
    "The audit revealed that almost a year into the contract the three departments were still figuring out how to pay for the software, and that as of mid-March no state workers were using the product."

Just curious to see if any of you out there had seen/heard about this sort of thing in your areas of CA...

2. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Hmm. First I've heard of this, but... scandal? In the Davis administration? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. I don't know what it is about California, but we seem to consistently elect reptiles into public office.

Couple of things I found amusing. One was the large Oracle ad CNet put up on the page. Another was a statement that, three years later, the state was still trying to figure out how to pay for their Oracle contract. I think that's probably the case for EVERY Oracle customer. I swear, the day it looks like the Justice Department is done with Microsoft, it's time to sell your Oracle stock (disclaimer -- I am not a stock analyst; I am an idiot. If you follow my advice, so are you.)

You know, I'm sitting here trying to decide if you're being incredibly clever or if you just know how to spell a big word. If it's the former, kudos to you. :)

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it is a good thing that larry ellison, head of oracle, has never been fotune's richest man since his love life would cause a real scandal

he somehow stays out of the press, unlike gates, and his choice of extremely young females has raised more than a few eyebrows

so they're 18 and legal...so what?

ellison is almost 60 and it just makes me feel embarrased for the man...i guess even billionaires could look cheesy and his choise in young girls just makes me think of that "other" scandal involving young people

4. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I hope it's the former...;)

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I couldn't find antidisestablishmentarianism but I did find disestablishmentarianism

6. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

7. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

Oracle make great software. If people buy software they don't need, that's surely their problem.

When people in public office buy software they don't need, that's their electorate's problem!

As to Larry's love life - that surely has little baring on things, but at least he's a multimillionaire who knows how to have a good time - unlike certain other IT mogels we could mention ;)

8. sjs macrumors 6502

I grew up during the era when antidisestablishmentarianism was the longest word in the English language, before the explosion of scientific lingo.

Do I have to decide whether to be an "anti-zealot" or be in your group?

Funny how we all feel the need to belong to something bigger than ourselves...

9. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Since I'm the only member right now, I don't know that you can call it a group. ;)

It's more of a jab at all the anti-zealots that have been popping up. If you truly want to be original, make up your own group and put it in your signature. The whole "xyz group" has become something of a joke these days anyway.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Yay. The world needs more overeducated people. Seriously. ;)

11. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Is it possible to be "overeducated"?

You should always be learning something new in life...and these days, technology and information move so quickly that you can't rest on last week's knowledge because it became obsolete a month ago...

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Heh, you guys think antidisestablishmentarianism is long?

I'll bet the folks in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch have something to say about that. :D

(It's a village in Wales, in case you're wondering...)

13. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Silly Welsh...:rolleyes:

14. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

You can get into a lot of trouble talking that way about the Welsh, you know!

Ask Anne Robinson.

15. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Since MacRumors isn't broadcast on TV (yet) I don't have to worry about that kind of trouble...

Silly British...:rolleyes:

16. sjs macrumors 6502

some comic used to say "I would never join any club that would take ME"

(I knew what you meant by your anti... club. Nice concept.)

17. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

Welsh people use the Internet as well as watching TV you know.

Silly Antidisestablishmentarians... :rolleyes:

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Well, I personally would rather believe it's not possible, but there are legitimate concerns one might raise about the practical value of a software developer being able to discuss the impact of Sumerian literature on western civilization.

19. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

20. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

or the people who are afflicted with pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (aka Black Lung disease)

21. networkman macrumors regular

i am a teacher (and jefhatfield usually but having avatar worked on by dukestreet ;-)

keep the general ed in high school. period.

make the BA/BS a three year degree re: the major classes only

make mba school only graduate level classes and thus eliminating the entire first year and cutting costs in half by having a one year mba like in some other countries

make the law degree an llb (bachelor's of jurisprudence) like it used to be in 1970 and make all law schools only charge undergraduate tuition like it once was in my days of schooling

make all state, county, city, and federally funded schools completely free since it comes from the same purse as all high schools, junior high schools, and elementary schools (the colleges used to be free in most of our parent's generation)

and cut whatever is needed to make this happen whether it be tax cuts for billionaires, chemical weapons, salaries of congress and senate, and government spending in general

- yet another jefhatfield "hatman" essay

22. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sounds like the European system to me, and it works quite well for them.

I think that the main reason things are the way they are is that ALL of America is driven by capitalism...even the colleges.

We students get treated as customers, and the more they can make off of us the better for the University. Universities are businesses these days, not educational institutions. Sad, but true.

PS - How long until the new 'tar is unveiled jef?

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

here at nyu the college as a capitalist corporation is all too evident. sure it's a private university, but still...

in the new dorm they just built on 14th street, they are leasing out the bottom 2 floors for stores. that actually wouldn't be a terrible idea. i mean, make enough money off that to probably cover the property costs or whatever.... but the problem is the ridiculous pay the president gets (over a million) as well as the lack of interest shown to graduate students who work for the school and get paid very little with minimal benefits. they also end up working full time type hours very often. i don't know all the details, but just on the surface it certainly doesn't seem to be all about education...

the european system sounds good to me

24. networkman macrumors regular

dukestreet will get to it soon i hope...he is a great artist

colleges and universities are into making a profit and are like businesses...at least in california, we still have some good low cost schools like the uc system and the state college system...while stanford and usc get all the oohs and ahs, uc berkeley and ucla are actually just as good academically, but when the job market thing comes up, those rolls royce style educations like stanford and usc get preferential treament and as a former hr officer, i saw this time and again

did you know that the average cia agent or secret service agent only needs to have a degree from ANY accredited college, but the ivy leaugers and private college graduates get the nod nine times out of ten for the choice jobs for uncle sam...and the choice jobs are few and far between with the huge balance of jobs for the mindless workers that private industry would not take

so it is kind of like 1 percent smart people and the rest of the federal workers like a backward neanderthal nation...i hated my time at the department of defense since it always catered to the lowest common denominator where any college graduates were quietly "forced out" and if you didn't have a college degree but were smart, they would find you and force you out also...it was like a whole system of forrest gumps...too funny

somehow, we won the gulf war and i still stand amazed that we even found where iraq was on the globe