orange sleep light

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by badmofo9000, May 19, 2005.

1. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

I just got a sawtooth G4 tower off ebay. The sleep light pulsates orange. Is this normal. Every other mac I have been around pulsates with a white light when sleeping. Is my mac trying to tell me something is wrong?

2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Dirty lens, dying bulb......... many possibles.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The sleep light is always white. But it won't tell you if there are issues...

Just a mod maybe?

4. badmofo9000 thread starter macrumors regular

Well here is the deal. the machine I just purchased(sawtooth 400 agp) has a green light while on and a amber/orangeish light while sleeping. I have a very simaler machine at work(sawtooth gigabit ethernet, dual 500) that has a white light while on and a while light while sleeping.
    I have spoken with the guy I bought it from and he didnt mod it but cant rember what color the lights were.

I know this doesnt really matter for the functioning of the machine, but I am curious if my model had this colored power light or if its broken?

5. efoto macrumors 68030

I highly doubt that an amber light is signifying something is broken. If you have a real hitch about it, just put a little elbowgrease into it and search on Google or something for a 'mac sawtooth amber light' or something, but I'm almost sure its nothing. Is the person you purchased from the original owner? Does he have children? could someone else have done it without him/you knowing.

Unless Apple put in some rainbow leds that alter and give visual feedback of computer status, its probably nothing more than a dying led or a mod someone did, nothing to worry about.

6. JackRipper macrumors regular

The original iMac had a green light when awake, orange/amber while asleep. I'd say it's normal for Macs in that era.

7. badmofo9000 thread starter macrumors regular

ok Thanks for the info.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I dealt with Macs that old at school a couple years ago, green for awake, orange for sleeping. Nothing's wrong.