ordered 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by jelloshotsrule, Mar 23, 2006.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so my parents were going to get my brother a 360 for xmas, but we weren't able to get one in time (of course). anyways, we finally were able to order one today. should arrive in about a week.

right now he has perfect dark and cod 2, but he's going to try to return them and just rent stuff...

we have a gamefly 2 game subscription. so the question is, are there games that are worth playing, but moreso just for a rental, vs games that are worth owning?

i would imagine sports games are about the only ones i'd want long term (with the occasional halo or oblivion, which he will certainly buy). but the current sports games are so crippled and worthless, plus they're not really his favorite in general.

also, what are the upcoming games that people are really looking forward to?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Returning COD 2 would be stupid. Sorry, but it would be. It's a great game wand worth palying multiple times, and the new update is great when not playing online during peak hours.

GRAW is awesome too. A pain in the ass, but overall extremely well done, and online is beautiful.

DOA 4.. need I say more?

There are some other titles out there worth owning, but PDZ is not one of them.. Take that back. Dead Rising looks to be a great game coming soon too.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'll second that. Me and the missus have had a lot of fun kicking each other's arses on this one.

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

DOA 4 is good game but my parents' think its cheesy :eek:

COD 2 is good game if you like war games :D

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I would say that Condemned would be one to rent. It is good the first time through, but has very little replay value. Kameo is the same way. Definitely take back Perfect Dark, I could never figure out the controls and never got comfortable with them.

Keep CoD2, PGR3 is good is you like the first 2, it has really good live integration. Burnout is a good contrast to PGR3. Fight Night is one to buy, truly amazing looking and great to play against each other.

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

GUN and King Kong are both rentals. Waaaay too short to pay $60 for.

What kinds of games do you like? You could probably blast through PDZ or CoD2 as a rental if online play isn't of any interest to you.

GRAW is really (at its core) an online game; so keep that in mind. Fight Night Round 3 could be a rental, if you like boxing or not.

Oblivion is a buy; there's no point in renting this as it'll just tie up one of your rental queues for 6 months. :)

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i enjoy sports games. my bro is big into oblivion type games so he'll go nuts with that. we like games like tony hawk and amped also, so we'll probably rent those at some point.

he beat COD 1 basically on his own, i didnt really play that much. but i do like those types of games.

so the next question is, what's the deal with playing original xbox games on the 360? said something about "software emulator" for the game? i want to be able to play thug 2 and gta SA....

thanks again!

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

There's list of Xbox 1 games that will work on the 360 with patch per game

One of many website xbox game lists is here :D :eek:

9. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

thanks for the link. i've seen the lists, and now that wikipedia article helped me figure out how the emulation setup goes....

what are peoples' experiences with playing old games on 360? any performance hit of any sort? any weirdness?

also, do you have to have the paid xbox live to download the emulation stuff, or is that available just by connecting to the internet? thanks!

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'm not sure if you need Gold for download emulation profiles; I think Silver will do it too. The profiles work fine; I've not had anything strange happen. In fact the emulation profiles typically add new features or enhance the graphics.

11. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

GTA:SA is only graphics got better over Xbox 1.. Most Xbox games will look better (graphics-wise) so thats only detail i've noticed so far :eek:

360 games will look better then Xbox 1 game on 360 with the patch .. Since 360 games are designed for Game Hardware specs ..

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Nope, no performance hit... the new CPUs are so fast that even in emulation, they're faster than the original Xbox. Which is good, since it allows some of the games to actually look BETTER... part of the backwards compatibility package is improved graphics, 720p support, anti-aliasing, etc.

And no, you don't need Xbox Live Gold. Silver would be a good idea (to get BC updates), but a lot of the backwards compatibility code is already preloaded on the Xbox 360's hard drive.

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Halo 1 & 2 work great and looks slightly better.

They also changed Halo 2 co-op/2 player to split vertically instead of horizontally. I actually think Halo 2 plays a bit smoother myself.

They also all benefit from a boost to 720p so if your TV can do that then the graphics will be a bit clearer.

14. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

awesome, looking forward to its arrival! now just to find someone to buy me a big old hdtv. ;)