Ordered a new G4 :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nermal, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm sure all you guys don't really care, but I've just bought myself a nice new Power Mac G4 (1.25 GHz). It will be my second Mac, my current iBook was a cheap introduction to the Mac, and I like it so much that I'm getting a "real" Mac now :)

It's hard to believe that this NZ$2125 Power Mac is much more powerful than my NZ$3549 iBook, which is less than a year old! Oh well, you can't win. But I'm looking forward to my new Mac arriving! :D

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I bought a Power Mac G4 a few months ago, and have been super happy with it. It's an awesome, powerful machine. I think you'll be really happy with it.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, it'll be good. A lot faster than your iBook! I'm still on a quicksilver (DP 1GHz) w/ Panther and it flys for everything I want to do. Enjoy!

4. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I'm trying my luck with apple Aus, to try and get a twin G4 tower, minus the case, RAM, HDD, Graphics card, modem, operating, system and CD drive. more or less all I want is the mobo and the two processors.

Now that they are legecy models they are umming and arrrreing a little, so I might have a chance.

Anyway good to see you bought a G4 tower not an iMac, much bertter computer (cooling and expansion) and you can choose any screen you want. enjoy

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The main reason I bought a tower is for the expansion. I'm getting cramped with the 30 gig drive in my iBook, and to a lesser extent the video card, so I want a system that's easily upgradable. I got the G4 because there's no way I can afford a G5, plus I want to run OS 9 (for PlayStation games :)). The student discount is a great help too :D

Good luck with getting the "bare" system. If they won't sell it to you, you could try macresq.com and welovemacs.com for parts, but I don't know whether they'll sell outside the US (I've bought memory from WeLoveMacs' parent company MemoryX, but since memory is small, its delivery policy might be different).

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apple just emailed me, my G4 should be coming tomorrow :)

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Right on. Hope you enjoy that machine. My Dual 1Ghz MDD is still "my baby". Damn near camped out in our living room waiting for the FedEX van to arrive. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep in the days up to its arrival.