Ordered an iBook, still not sure...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BeeDee, Jan 17, 2005.

1. BeeDee macrumors newbie

Hi!

I've ordered an iBook G4 1,2GHz 80GB today. But two hours later I found out that the iBook won't be capable of running Core Image/Video.

Is it true that the iBook wont be able to use Core Image/Video?

If it is true, is Core Image/Video so nice that it will make the Powerbook 12" a better buy, even though it is more expensive.

I'm a student, so I havn't got too much money. But if I tried i could probably get enough to buy the Powerbook.

Another thing I wonder if is the Powerbook 12" has a rubber-mounted HD, like the iBook.

Prehaps I should write what I'll use my computer for...

Mostly I will use it for writing, e-mailing, listening to music, watching pictures/movies and making musik using garageband(or something similar). I will also use it occationally for editing video.

Shall I keep the iBook i've ordered, or should I spend all my money(+ some more) on a Powerbook?

(since I think it's impossible to change the order I would appreciate if you could convince me that the iBook is a much better buy) :D

Thanks...

2. ephex macrumors member

Well, cancel if you still can and you think coreimage/video is THAT important. then get a 15" pb ;). just wait a few weeks for updates to the pb line

3. BeeDee thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't even know really what core image is.
    And if I change my order to a PB it will be the 12".

Is Core Image/Video that important?

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Wow people are being brainwashed by the whole Core Image hoopla and they don't even know what it is or what it does? ;)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/technology.html

Read up on it, if you still feel its important for what your do then you have your answer. ;) :)

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The iBook will 'run' core image. It will simply have to pick up some of the slack with the CPU, as the GPU isn't powerful enough to do it all on it's own. It's not going to be a huge deal, and the iBook should be more than capable of taking advantage of all of Tigers features.

The PB is NICE, but a lot of people will agree that it isn't nice enough to warrant the price. HOWEVER, if you hold out a little while, there is likely to be a PB upgrade and price drop, so you may be able to get a 12" PB with some better specs and a better price soon.

Either way, you should be pleased with either one, even after core image comes out.

Oh, also, you should think about what kind of enviroment you will be using the system. the iBooks tend to be a little more 'robust' and durable than the PBs, so if you are going to be taking it 'out in the wild' you should consider that.

Rob

6. ephex macrumors member

Let's not forget that iBooks also have better wifi reception and battery life. I just couldn't live with that 1024x768 resolution.

To be fair, when I was in the apple store, the small resolution did not seem that bad really, especially because of Expose. But I could see it getting messy doing heavy photoshop usage or music production.

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have not had any issues working with "heavy" photoshop files and music. :)

Then again it all depends on ones eyesight. :)

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Core Image is the technology that allows for a supported GPU card to be allowed to be used as a "co-processor" and no Mac mini, eMac, and the iBook will not take advantage of this.

Chances are if you do not even know what it is and only heard of it by name, you are not going to even care.

Core Image is great however if you have been to the Expos you will also hear that it is great for slower processors and the 2.5GHz G5 would not even need the aid of Core Image since its will do the work fast enough. :)

9. BeeDee thread starter macrumors newbie

You could always use an external moitor at a higher resolution for that.
    My friend has an iBook and he found some "hack" to use dual monitors with the iBook...

10. MagnaPalam macrumors newbie

MagnaPalam

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coreimage.html

In the third paragragh..."For computers without a programmable GPU, Core Image dynamically optimizes for the CPU, automatically tuning for Velocity Engine and multiple processors as appropriate."

Doesn't this mean that it WILL be supported by the mac's without great GPU's?

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's what it means. Of course, the speed depends on the available hardware--just like everything else. If you buy a less capable machine, it's less likely to work as quickly or well as a much more expensive machine, as you might expect. :)

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you have to ask, you probably don't need it.

I have a friend who has a last generation 1GHz iBook and the developers version of Tiger. He says it's getting faster with every new release, and recently Apple removed their list compatible cards. I'm guessing it will be like with Quartz Extreme, where at first Apple said you needed a 32MB card, but latter revised it to some 16MB cards. Apple isn't going to make an OS that won't support their current hardware.

You should be fine with an iBook, it will run Tiger fine.