Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueFire2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Europe
hi guys!

Today I ordered a refurbished Apple TV 4 for our living room. I didn't really think about it much but, what are the chances of Apple releasing a new TV5 later this year? Should I have waited?

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
I would have waited until this year's September iPhone announcement event because that's when they announced the Apple TV 4 last year. That said, since you already bought it, I'd hang on to it and enjoy it. Like most Apple products, it will have a good resell value so, if a new one is announced, you can just sell the old one.

[doublepost=1469355408][/doublepost]
Why would they?

Because they need to catch up to Roku and Amazon who are a generation ahead of Apple and Roku/Amazon will most likely be releasing new players in the fall. The Apple TV is supposedly no longer a hobby so I can't see Apple just sitting back and letting Roku and Amazon corner the market. Apple is already at a disadvantage as it is because they don't have a stick option for the Apple TV and those sticks are the best selling devices in the market.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
well, it is apple. they always come later... i have over a year old android tv box that plays 4k for example.

and doing so, they can sell the same item several times. now they sell the atv4 and same people will buy the 4k version when it comes in the future. i just dont see it happening now. Maybe on next year, at the earliest...

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
This question has been asked since the 3s were out.

The answer remains the same: even if they release another one, you can just move your current one to a secondary TV.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I found the ATV to be too unpredictable and the price tag not worthy of waiting for updates.

I did the same thing when I bought my ATV3 (should I wait?) and it was 2 years later before the ATV4 came out! I'm glad I didn't wait.

Plus what would you be waiting for? 4k is the only thing I think that would be relevant. But if you don't have a 4k TV there is no point in waiting. And there is still very limited content available. I have a 4k Samsung TV KS9000 (one of their better models) and after looking at Netflix's line up of content I haven't even bothered to upgrade to their 4k plan. So for me its not even worth 2 dollars a month with a 3000 dollar TV. Lol...

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
There is little 4k content available yet, but.. Everybody is always talking about apple ecosystem, continuity etc. I dont see it being coherent at all when they have imac and iphone that can produce 4k content but the new atv cant. That doesnt make any sense to me.

I quess they made people to switch their old atvs to atv4 just for apps and then later they will add 4k to sell the same unit again. Of course you dont have to buy it now but im pretty sure they have done all calculation to maximize profits for years. If atv4 had 4k and apps now, what would they sell later?

i dont believe that they would announce new atv on this year if the atv4 has sold well.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
They said the same stupid thing when the 2nd Gen Apple TV came out and it was only 720p. There is very little 1080p content. Well after the 1080p content increased because the TV's got cheap the 3rd Gen Apple TV had 1080p.

Now the 4k TV's are getting cheaper under a grand now so history will repeat itself and before you know there will be plenty of 4k content. So will the 5th Gen Apple TV have 4k.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
hi guys!

Today I ordered a refurbished Apple TV 4 for our living room. I didn't really think about it much but, what are the chances of Apple releasing a new TV5 later this year? Should I have waited?

I would place my bet on an Apple TV5 around the year 2020. That's the projected date that the majority of NA & European homes will have a 4k TV.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I would place my bet on an Apple TV5 around the year 2020. That's the projected date that the majority of NA & European homes will have a 4k TV.

Hmmm.... The same year as the rumored car.... Guess we'll have to see if the rumors add up to being a television on wheels that can be moved and repositioned by remote control.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Hmmm.... The same year as the rumored car.... Guess we'll have to see if the rumors add up to being a television on wheels that can be moved and repositioned by remote control.

Rumor says the rumored date of the rumored car has been pushed back... If you believe such things. A 2020 Apple TV would be just in time for the Tokyo games. So maybe.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
4K would be a waste, as least for me. 1080p is enough.. Seems these days we just want 4K-everything...

Over the top? Probably, but i'm a minority as well.

I don't even think a new Apple TV device will be out just shortly after the 4th gen. Just because the iPhone's are released every year, doesn't mean "This thing (slightly larger than a hockey puck now), should be released every year"

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#Other

Last edited:

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
what are the chances of Apple releasing a new TV5 later this year?

Slim to none. The ATV 4 is a brand new product just getting started and will likely receive new features via software updates for some time to come.

4K? Don't hold your breath for that either - there's just too little content out there. Moreover, here's a recent techradar article on the (messy) state of 4K. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/ultra-hd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-1048954

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Slim to none. The ATV 4 is a brand new product just getting started and will likely receive new features via software updates for some time to come.

4K? Don't hold your breath for that either - there's just too little content out there. Moreover, here's a recent techradar article on the (messy) state of 4K. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/ultra-hd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-1048954

I'm sure Apple has engineers smart enough to work around these problems. However, after reading this article i realized what a monumental pain in the butt it would be to properly support 4k for a company that prides itself on simplicity and ease of use.

http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-xbox-one-s-review/2/

Our major issue was getting our TVs to recognize HDR. The problem (which isn't solely the Xbox One S' fault) is that some TVs with HDR require a specific "UHD" or "deep color" setting to be turned on in order for HDR to work. These modes usually turn a TV's brightness all the way up and activate automatically when HDR content is detected. But none of our TVs detected the Ultra HD Blu-ray HDR signal that was being output by our "Star Trek" Blu-ray.

It wasn't until we forced the Xbox One S to output a higher bit depth (10-bit up from the console's default setting of 8-bit) did we get a clean HDR signal. Furthermore, we had issues maintaining a video signal altogether when our TV was in that special "UHD/deep color" setting for HDR but the Xbox One S was outputting a signal lower than 10-bit.

Sound confusing? That's because it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffPerrin

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Five year product cycle? Not a chance, IMO. 2017 or 2018. I'd lean more toward 2017 with the proliferation of cheap 4K sets. Apple can't keep selling the most expensive box with lesser technical specs for that many years.

One in eight homes will have a 4K set by the end of this year. Most of those will find a streaming box that supports 4K, an advantage to Apple's competitors. There is no way Apple would want to get so far behind the market as to have half the country with competitors' products before introducing their own.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Five year product cycle? Not a chance, IMO. 2017 or 2018. I'd lean more toward 2017 with the proliferation of cheap 4K sets. Apple can't keep selling the most expensive box with lesser technical specs for that many years.

One in eight homes will have a 4K set by the end of this year. Most of those will find a streaming box that supports 4K, an advantage to Apple's competitors. There is no way Apple would want to get so far behind the market as to have half the country with competitors' products before introducing their own.

Let's talk numbers then:

The Apple TV 3 came out Match 7th 2012
The Apple TV 4 came out October 30th 2015

A total of 1333 days between the two generations.

Now if were going to split hairs I said the next Apple TV would launch "AROUND" the year 2020. Even though I would give myself a little leeway on that date lets assume I meant Jan 1st 2020. that would give us...

A total of 1525 days.

Now if we just add 1333 days from The previous October release that would land us in mid June 2019. I think that's a totally acceptable date for "Around 2020" and wouldn't be historically out of character for Apple to wait such lengths given the previous product cycle.

Last edited:

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Let's talk numbers then:

The Apple TV 3 came out Match 7th 2012
The Apple TV 4 came out October 30th 2015

A total of 1333 days between the two generations.

Now if were going to split hairs I said the next Apple TV would launch "AROUND" the year 2020. Even though I would give myself a little leeway on that date lets assume I meant Jan 1st 2020. that would give us...

A total of 1525 days.

Now if we just add 1333 days from The previous October release that would land us in mid June 2019. I think that's a totally acceptable date for "Around 2020" and wouldn't be historically out of character for Apple to wait such lengths given the previous product cycle.

Interesting that you've ignored a much more apt comparison, the Apple TV 2 to 3 upgrade, the entire purpose being to upgrade the Apple TV from 720p to 1080p. What was that product cycle? One year seven months.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
I suspect there won't be an ATV 5. The 4 is a dud with very little developer interest and it was technologically basic back when it came out a year ago, let alone now. It's next to impossible now to buy a TV which doesn't come loaded with Netflix, Amazon and the rest, so a stand alone box which doesn't even have Amazon Prime is a very hard sell.

Roku will hang in there for a while, but their days are numbered too.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I suspect there won't be an ATV 5. The 4 is a dud with very little developer interest and it was technologically basic back when it came out a year ago, let alone now. It's next to impossible now to buy a TV which doesn't come loaded with Netflix, Amazon and the rest, so a stand alone box which doesn't even have Amazon Prime is a very hard sell.

Wow. I could not disagree more.

Reactions: LiveM

Richard28

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2016
agreed, ATV4 is a dud, and most certiainly in the UK, very few of the main UK broadcasters support it, SIRI is pretty much useless in the UK, no 4K and of course no Amazon Prime.

If you want games you get a PS4/XBOX, you want streaming, you need to get something other than an ATV.

A proper ATV that deals with its primary focus of streaming is needed, with proper guide, cloud recording, app integration/navigation, full range of content and of course, 4K.

amazing that I can record 4K video on my iPhone but cannot airplay it to another apple device.

It seems more and more that televisions are getting better software inbuilt and the need for a separate streaming box is disipating.

The ATV is a product dying on its heels, a refresh/change in strategy is urgent or this thing will be relegated back to hobby status again pretty soon.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015

Apple wants to sell content more than Apple TVs but the way to do that is to sell Apple TVs. I don't see them dropping the Apple TV, especially if they launch their own streaming service.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Please argue your case.

You state several things that I completely disagree with...Of course this is all subjective, so I certainly won't say you are wrong. But here are my thoughts relative to yours:

You:I suspect there won't be an ATV 5.
Me: I think there will be, albeit not for at least 1 year, likely more like 2 years.

You: The 4 is a dud with very little developer interest and it was technologically basic back when it came out a year ago, let alone now.
Me: I've used a wide variety of the current streaming boxes and a handful of SmartTVs. I have not used the Nvidia Shield. Compared to the others, I feel the ATV4 is superior for my uses. And that is a very big key: for my uses. I couldn't care less about games or a huge library of apps. However those I do use, in particular Plex, run exceedingly well on the ATV4 and in my experience as good as or better on the ATV4 than on other streaming boxes.

You: It's next to impossible now to buy a TV which doesn't come loaded with Netflix, Amazon and the rest, so a stand alone box which doesn't even have Amazon Prime is a very hard sell.
Me: I have used SmartTVs, and have been completely underwhelmed by every single one I've used. I am sure there are some out there that would be better, but those I used were horrendous (and that does include mid to high level Samsung sets, so I am not referring only to low end models). Further, the ongoing support and software updates of the multitude of SmartTVs certainly will not keep pace with dedicated streaming boxes.

You: Roku will hang in there for a while, but their days are numbered too
Me: The market for streaming boxes is absolutely mammoth. This is not a 1 per household device, many houses have multiple TVs and will thus eventually have multiple streaming devices. This space is in its infancy.

Ultimately, my feeling on streaming boxes is that none are perfect, and that none will likely satisfy every want (notably Amazon Prime not native on the ATV4, AirPlay not on Roku/Fire, etc.). But much like people have had multiple inputs to their TVs in the past with a cable box, bluray player, game console, etc., they can just as easily have multiple streaming devices on a single TV. Pick the device (or devices) that work best for your viewing needs. But to say Roku's days are numbered, that there won't be an ATV5, and other doom-and-gloom about this space is way off base in my opinion.

John_Hagan

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2016

Couldn't disagree more. The ATV4 can hardly be classified as a dud. I doubt that Roku will be going away anytime in the near future either.

Reactions: JeffPerrin and UAV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.