Ordered first mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Azrel, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

Hey guys, just ordered a my first Mac.

SuperDrive 15" PowerBook with 1GB RAM and 3 Year Apple Care.
    20GB iPod with Carry Case
    Mighty Mouse
    Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
    PowerBook Case

Basically, I wanted a laptop for University, I've wanted a Mac for a long time, mainly because its got a UNIX'y OS which "just works", so I can do all the little things in life which - flaimbait warning - on Linux/BSD can be a pain. The guy said the order could come anywhere between 3 days time to 6. I'll post images when it arrives.

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

That's a really great set-up. I always knew about Apple's incredible attention too detail, and I even knew people with powerbooks, but it still blows you away once you actually get you're hands on it. It's really designed to be more than just another laptop. I also don't think you're gonna regret this come late sept.

4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I don't think anyone's going to argue that statement. I mean, I'm a tweaker by nature (my second-favorite OS is FreeBSD and my favorite Linux distro is Gentoo), but... jesus, I'd like to actually use my computer occasionally, rather than have it use me...

5. Azrel thread starter macrumors regular

Azrel

wow, we like exactly the same distro's. I'm typing on a Gentoo Box now, and my webserver runs FreeBSD 5.4. Gentoo IS the best Linux distro, if only for those USE flags. And FreeBSD is just so easy to install and manage as a Webserver, it's nice :)

I'm interested in the OSX portage. But I've also looked at DarwinPorts. How does DarwinPorts fair as a package manager to portage, could you give a new OSX user any advice in this area?

6. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Welcome!
    You have selected very well!!!

I know that when I finally saw the light these forums were especially helpful in those first few days when I wanted to learn more and more...
    macosxhints also was very beneficial!

Enjoy your PB
    Enjoy the forums... and remember the Search function is your friend!