Ordered MacPro. Should I cancel and wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hidea, Jan 23, 2007.

  1. hidea macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2006
    #1
    i just ordered my MacPro with 23" display....

    I'm having setbacks, and wonder if I should wait a little longer for an update. :/


    what do you say?
     
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2004
    Location:
    The Msp
    #2
    If you need it, get it. If you don't, wait. Either way, even if updates come out tomorrow for some reason, you'd be getting an incredibly powerful and capable machine, one that would not be "out of date" by any means for a long time.
     
  3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #3
    Well, an update is kind of expected so buy if you have to. Its a bit of a funny situation though because they might go Octo core in which case they will lose the 3Ghz model. If they did update and go octo core then I'd expect a quad core 2.0Ghz model (single chip), quad core 2.66Ghz model (single chip) and octo core 2.66Ghz model (dual chip). Something along those lines anyway. Price reductions on the 2.0Ghz quad and 2.66Ghz quad too.
     
  4. hayduke macrumors 65816

    hayduke

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    is a state of mind.
    #4
    I just ordered one because of what you said. If they update it will likely just be 8-core and/or blu-ray. Neither of which excite me that much. I would be hard pressed to really push eight cores, but I think I can give 4 a pretty good beating. That said...I ordered. Time will tell if it was a good decision, but there were some work related reasons that further instigated the need to purchase now.
     
  5. dkoralek macrumors 6502

    dkoralek

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    #5
    It will be interesting to see what they do. There are some trade offs between 2 2.67 woodcrests and 1 2.67 clovertown (you lose half the cache), but the chips get better priced (iirc a 2.67 clovertown costs the same as a 3.0 woodcrest).

    cheers.
     
  6. hidea thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2006
    #6
    so, what do I do? only a few hours till the grace priod of canceling my order.
     
  7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

    FleurDuMal

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    Location:
    London Town
    #7
    Cancel and wait for judgement day?

    The fact is, with a Mac Pro, even if Apple do announce updates in the near future, the Mac Pro is sooooo upgradable that you will simply be able to make the update yourself. Of course, you might be a bit out of pocket if they happen to knock down prices, but either way you're going to have a very good machine.
     
  8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #8
    To be honest I think, for the medium term, quad core is going to offer better performance for the vast majority of people. I see little to no point in waiting for revised Mac Pro's given that the current crop are so powerful and capable, and pretty much flawless.
     
  9. teleromeo macrumors 65816

    teleromeo

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    kidnapped by aliens
    #9
    I should at least wait until leopard comes out.
     
  10. hidea thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2006
    #10
    Very true!


    Keepin' it :D

    thanks mate ;)
     
  11. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #11
    I can't see Apple offering the option of 1 Clovertown at all. Certainly a way to make more money, or offer a better price. But that means they would be selling machines that are not as good as the previous Rev. They could obviously offer both options, but that, along with the previous sentance, seem very un-Apple to me. Also on pricing, Dell charge only $100 less for a single clovertown as opposed to dual woodcrests all at 2.66Ghz.
     
  12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

    Chaszmyr

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    #12
    Personally, I'd wait. If you want a quad-core machine no matter what, then you can get one now if you need one or just can't stand your current machine. If you'd be interested in maybe paying a some more and getting an 8-core machine, it's probably not too far off.
     
  13. hidea thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2006
    #13
    Ooohh bloody nutter. The MP was shipped yesterday, and there's a prediction to update today :/. Expecting it today.

    BLOODY HELL! bollocks :/.


    I do have an ACD going back. Maybe I should give them a call and cancel it, and reorder new ACD if there's indeed an update to ACDs.

    Funny thing was, I did have a 'problem' to my shipping. Apple wouldn't specify what it was. Maybe they were trying to tell me that they're updating my system. It happened before. And I gave 'em a hard time for not shippin' it on time. (I didn't exactly yelled and cussed and such, but I told them I want it to be shipped by Tuesday). I should've let them kept it delayed, then maybe I could change my configuration.


    Comfort me :p
     
  14. hollerz macrumors 6502a

    hollerz

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location:
    Durham, UK
    #14
    You'll be amazed with your Mac Pro wether its got 4 cores or 8 cores! :D plus like someone else said, they are upgradeable.

    ACD on the other hand, I'd prob cancel it and wait a few more weeks if you can
     
  15. waremaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #15

    LOL no updates today for either the MacPro or the Displays. You did good. Enjoy your fine machine when it comes.
     
  16. nurfen macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2007
    #16
    I'd cancel both MacPro & ACD. Updates would be coming... :)
     
  17. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
    #17
    Can you even use 4 cores, let alone 8?

    You have to look at what you really need instead of what you can get.

    Sure 8 is a bigger number than 4 but may not perform better. If I were buying today it would be the 3.0Ghz Xeon, which will be faster at tasks that aren't heavily multithreaded.

    Not to mention power usage. But of course, it is my understanding that few people in the states care about such things ;) 8 cores will chew more power.
     
  18. hayduke macrumors 65816

    hayduke

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    is a state of mind.
    #18

    I agree. Just ordered (and received!!!) a 4-core. I didn't expect to benefit much from 8-cores, especially as the current 8-core chips have slower clock speeds.

    I am, however, waiting for new ACDs!!!!
     
  19. jaguarx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2003
    Location:
    London
    #19
    I did the same, bought a quad now and I'm waiting until they update the ACDs before I buy one of those.
     
  20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #20
    The current Mac Pro's and ACD's are pretty awesome. I can really see very little reason to wait.

    My Mac Pro is the server for our network, runs god knows how many programs under Rosetta, plays my games and stays up continuously between Apple updates (last uptime was over a month, it would've been longer if it wasn't for the updates). It's blisteringly fast and, without wanting to jinx its future, fault free. There's just no point in waiting.

    ACD's... well that's a bit different. A display is a display, and if the current range somehow disappoints you then hold off. However, my 23" and 30" ACD's are the best monitors I've ever owned, are again fault free, and match the Mac Pro, in particular, beautifully. Unless there are specific technical limitations to the current displays that make them a deal-breaker I see little point in waiting.

    Of course, for anyone who doesn't need either, feel free to wait indefinitely ;)
     
  21. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #21
    Wait. I think there will be an update quite soon.
     
  22. hidea thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2006
    #22
    Thanks everyone for the comments, but it's a little late, as the thread was created like... on the 23rd. It's coming my way in a few hours.

    I can clearly see the reason to wait, but my hands says "we must touch that pretty big shiny silver/metal thing"
     

Share This Page