Ordered my first Mac tonight - now where to go?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by micsaund, Jun 28, 2004.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

The PB15 has been ordered as of tonight (along with a Crucial 512MB SODIMM) so now, I'm looking for 4 or 5 of the "main" sites to check for a new Mac owner/switcher (keeping in mind that I'm a Unix geek and don't need the super-n00b info). Any suggestions? I've heard that Fink is something to look into first, but I'd be interested in reading more while waiting for delivery of my new toy ;)

Thanks!
    Mike

2. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Hey mate - welcome!
    I'm only a new switcher myself... had my very sexy very cool 17" Powerbook a whole week now!!!

I'm still scanning lots of forums, learning, reading, and asking (I'm sure) lots of stupid questions.

MacUpdates, VersionTracker are two locations worth mentioning...
    and I have grabbed a couple of things off tucows (via my ISP)

As for forums - I'm currently trawling:
    macrumors (obviously)
    macbytes.com (mostly news)
    appleinsider.com
    Appletalk.com.au (a new Aust based forums)...
    macosxhints.com
    a mate suggested mactopia (havent sussed it yet)

As you have bought a Powerbook - the BEST little trick I have found so far is Side Track!
    Can't live without it.... it allows for horizontal and vertical scrolling on my Track Pad.

Hope you love this brave new world as much as I am.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

A couple more:

macslash.org
    apple.slashdot.org

And don't neglect the obvious:

Macworld.com
    maccentral.macworld.com

Enjoy!

4. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Power users/unix geeks should probably take a gander at macosxhints.com
    There's lots of cool suggestions there.

5. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Great - thanks for the tips everyone! That's just what I needed.

Mike

6. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Out for a drink to celebrate obviously. :D But then you will soon become very impatient and dissapointed because apple delivery is not as fast as dell. (based on personal experience)

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I second the vote for versiontracker. I always feel like a kid in a candy store over there.

Also, I recommend reading macintouch.com every day. This is one of the most venerable sites in the Macintosh world. It only takes a few minutes, and you're bound to learn something new. Surprised nobody's mentioned it already.

8. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Save yourself a little time, and get yourself a good RSS reader. NetNewsWire lite is a freebie, with it's paid big brother NetNewsWire. Or there's SlashDock which is dock-based, or PulpFiction, or, well, search www.versiontracker.com for RSS reader and pick one.

Once you've installed it, you can add the RSS feeds from all the sites the folks in here have suggested, and peruse the new listings at a glance, instead of running all over the web.

My major contribution to you, especially if you're already Unix-wise, is www.MacOSXHints.com - a virtual treasure-trove of helpful information for everyone from the noob to the power user.