Ordered my first Powerbook!! Student validation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by quasar720, Aug 12, 2004.

1. quasar720 macrumors member

quasar720

Ok so I just put throught the order for my first Powerbook! I of course plunked down the extra 15 bucks for 2-3 day shipping as I am really excited about getting ahold of this thing!! :)

One question, I ordered it through Apple.com's Education store because I will be a student starting next month. However, I went through the entire order process and was never prompted for any school information (student number, liscence etc). I know that I was charged the Education price based on my order summary but I expected to have to prove that I was a student at some point. Is there anything else that I need to do?

Thanks!

-=q720=-

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

You may be requested to FAX in a copy of your schedule and\or student ID. However, many people are never asked for any verification. It is really the luck of the draw.

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

You're fine provided you're enrolled in classes, even if you've never set foot in a university classroom in your life.

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

sometimes they ask you to fax them student ID scans or your class schedule. but this rarely happens.

5. quasar720 thread starter macrumors member

quasar720

Ok that's good news. Hopefully I won't have to slow down the order by a bunch of faxing back and forth... :(

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

just so you know

I found this out for myself, if you pay for the 2-day shipping...it's 2 days from the time it ships, not from the time you order it. I payed the extra money to get it sooner, but took almost a week and a half to come. Just FYI.

7. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I have mentioned this before, but I will tell you this since that other info is hard to find.
    My wife's friend works in the admissions office, and someone from Apple called to verify student enrollment (this is my order and my wife's friend let us know that someone called and I had to give a permission for release of the information)
    But you should be fine as long as your have been accepted and enrolled for classes.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The last time that I entered the Apple Education site, they ask for the name of my wife's school. Definitely at the local university computer store they required and ID.

9. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

I admire the fact that after people (including myself) had a dig at shecky for his comments in the thread he just linked about educational discounts, he has now used it to show other people. I'm not trying to be all high and mighty I'm just pointing out that very few people would act as he is now showing people both sides of the argument, while still trying to help people out. But i guess thats Mac people for you. ;)

10. Dentyne macrumors newbie

Validation

I wouldn't worry about them calling your school... The school
    can't give out your information without your permission anyway...

For a bigger discount, students (or those who can fax a student
    id and a schedule of classes) can join the Apple Developer
    Connection. The discount is even larger than the educational
    discount, even factoring in that you have to pay $99 to join
    the program. http://developer.apple.com/.

11. shecky Guest

shecky

not true. the school can verify that you are full-time, part-time, or not enrolled.

12. Dentyne macrumors newbie

Not without your permission.

13. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

So if Apple phoned up and asked whether or not you were a student there they would have to phone you up and ask you whether or not it was ok? There is probably something in the terms and conditions of the educational store that states that you allow Apple to do these tests if they want to verify your status as a student. I'm not saying that schools willingly give out info but its not like Apple don't sell to students.

14. shecky Guest

shecky

you do not listen real well, do you?

YES they can verify that you are a student, and wether you are enrolled full-time, half-time, or not at all. They do not need student or parental permission to do this. NO, they can't give away class schedules, or student ID numbers, or address, or anything like that - that kid of detailed information they will only give out with student or parental permission.

15. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

see! obviously a man in the know!