Ordering A Mac Mini For Work..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by betty02, Feb 1, 2006.

1. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

WEll being the IT Technician at Montgomery High School UK, i got asked to order another eMac for the media studies department, this it to go with the 3iBook 14"'s and hte eMac, so i went to the apple sight and they no longer sell them, so ive decided to buy 2 Mac Mini 1.25's.

What i was wondering would this be fine for Media Studies, it will be teenage kids using it (yeah i wouldn't let them near it myself (altough im only 16 myself) and before i place the order, will it be fine for just video editing etc, the disk space doesn't matter as it will be connected to our server.

From what i know from expeirience these will be fine, just 2 heads are better then 1

;)

Thanks

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well, the performance of the Mac Mini was never vastly different than an emac, besides the hard drive. It should be fine.

Do they have displays to connect these Mac Minis to? I only ask because if they were going to get an emac, it had the built in screen. Do they have something to connect the minis to? If so, it should be fine.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I agree with the previous user. The hard drive is the only major difference. You can also add the video card but that isn't as much of an issue.

Just don't expect to be editing HD video at lightning speed.

4. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I use the PM G4 in my signature for home movie editing. It works great -- but clearly it is not the fastest at DVD rendering. iMovie editing is absolutely fine even with a slow system bus and 1 GHz G4.

I would max out the RAM on the minis if the budget permits.

5. betty02 thread starter macrumors regular

betty02

Yeah well i went ahead and palced my order, like i said the HD doesn't fuss me to much as it will be join to our network and everything will be saved on the server.

Well thanks for your help,
    Oh and yes we have displays to plug these into of course, im just trying to talk to the head to let me order 2 30" cineam displays :p

Cya

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Since this is for a school, go to the Apple Edu store. Type eMac in the search box and you'll be able to find them.