Ordering an iPhoto PhotoBook.....what a disaster

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Abstract, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I ordered my mum a Photobook through iPhoto for her birthday. After the order was late and missed my mum's birthday, they told me to wait a few more days. I waited for a few more days, and emailed them back asking me what happened. Now they tell me that my order was returned to their warehouse where a full refund has been issued. They can't just resend packages returned to Apple, so I need to place another order "at my convenience."

Hey, you know what would be convenient? If my mum got her book!!! If they just resent the damn package. Expresspost. For free. I want to file a complaint and talk to a manager, but they don't seem to have any sort of phone number, only that blasted email service they have where they give me some automated response (or so it seems).

Also, the quality is supposed to be bad unless you "tweak" one of the plist files and adjust the quality setting to be 300 dpi instead of the 150 dpi default setting.

Has anybody else had any experiences with the Photobook system? Does anybody have a phone number I could call to make my complaint? Even though it seems like there's no phone number, I figured that the best chance I have of finding one was if I posted at MacRumours. :eek:

2. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Sorry to hear that. I ordered one for Valentine's Day and everything went quite smooth. Looked fantastic too.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I export to PDF and print them myself.

I mean..

yeah, that's what I do.

I bind it myself, with a cute little ribbon. I made one for my friend before she went to spain, and she LOVED it! :) :)

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

there was a thread on the books a few months ago, maybe around May.....
    I would demand to talk to a manager or something....Your telling me that their is no phone....their has to be..... what about calling apple... i mean it is a service they offer..... They should do the right thing and send it overnight for free. Or mabe no charge for the book....

5. Washco macrumors newbie

Thats too bad, Ive ordered 2 books in the past and it was smooth sailing. Maybe try the 1-800 website number to get you to number you want or if you have apple care?

6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience.

FWIW, I ordered some books back in April and the process was perfectly smooth. The books were delivered to all four recipients in a timely manner and the quality was excellent.

7. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nope, there's no phone number, and the thing is that the regular Apple customer support have ALL told me that they can't do anything because the iPhoto PhotoBook service is a separate service that they have nothing to do with. I actually believe them as well, seeing as how the photo service is probably outsourced to another company and the Apple people don't have a clue.

When I tell them that there must be a phone number, they tell me "No sorry, their support is web based only."

:mad:

Oh, and the guy told me that the only thing he can do is recommend that I send Apple a letter (ie: a letter to 1 Infinite Loop), and tell them exactly what happened. Its my first time complaining to any large company in this manner, and too bad it had to be Apple. I even told them that if they didn't respond to my letter, my next purchase won't be a Mac Mini for my parents and a PB with Intel inside. It'll be a Dell 700m notebook and something else for my parents. I'm tired of automated replies and my specific questions being ignored.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've recently ordered one and it was fine. Arrived in 9 days after ordering so sorry to hear your experience.

I've since seen a book with 150dpi printing to compare to my 300dpi printing and it's as lousy as people on the discussions boards make out. The good news is that if you decide to re-order and upload your order again, you can apply the change this time.

I'd ask on the iPhoto Apple boards for advice. The regulars there seem to know a lot about what works and what doesn't and who the best people to contact are.

As far as getting a Dell for the parents rather than a Mini, I suspect it might give you more pain in the long-run... however frustrating this appears now.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

How do you know which setting its on/change it to 300dpi :confused:

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

The default is 150dpi for the medium/large books and 300dpi for the small ones (or at least it was in 5.0.2). Consensus is that it may be to keep down file sizes when uploading.

Here are instructions for changing them

11. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I ordered 3 books from Apple and was actually surprised with how fast them came. However this was with iPhoto 4, and I've heard about iPhoto 5 having difficulties with the format of the books and the templates rearranging the photos in an undesirable, like in the collage view.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I find iPhoto 5 much easier to lay out books in. The new 5.0.3 update says it contains a fix to stop templates being rearranged when you move photos.