Ordering my iMac from Apple has taken a week so far...a little ridiculous...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by levitynyc, Oct 30, 2006.

1. levitynyc macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2006
    I ordered my 24" fully loaded iMac along with an iPod and a Nano 1 week ago. It ran about 4110. I got a 200 coupon from someone in the Coupon thread.

I didnt want to put the charge on my Capital One card as I have a recurring large payment for Hockey tickets and I dont want to come close to my limit and Capital one are a bunch of morons who wont raise anyone's limits. I didnt want to use my GM card as I like to keep it as an emergency only card.

I decided to use my corporate Paypal debit card that has my business address for that amount.... They charge the ipods right away and they were shipped and received.

1st attempt at the iMac failed as apparently there is a 3000 daily limit on my debit card.

Fine, I simply called and told Apple to simply charge my other capital one card around 500 and the remainder (around 2995) onto my Paypal debit card.

2nd attempt at the imac failed as I forgot to tell them that the billing addresses on the 2 cards is different. I called and straightened that out.

3rd attempt fails as for some reason as my debit card company still denies the charge for 2995 and to make matters worse, the 3500 is attempted on my capital one card and I get a call from their fraud department as the charge is completely out of line with my regular spending and would put me at my limit.

I said the hell with it. I called up my GM card which has a large limit. I changed the billing address temporarily to my work so I wont hit any snags. I also told them to expect a charge for around 3500 in the next few hours.

4th attempt fails as I am told the my billing address STILL dont match even though I called and verified. They call up GM card to verify the address and I am told everything is in order.

5th attempt fails. GM rejects the charge and I receive my 2nd fraud protection phone call - this time from GM card, even though I called to verify beforehand. They tell me to call Apple again to tell them to run the charge yet again.

I call apple for a 6th attempt. I am kept on hold for about 40 minutes while my rep works on it.

Finally the 6th attempt is successful (or so I am told) and hopefully my new iMac will be shipped this week.

Just a little rant as I wasted my whole day on the phone today just to receive my new computer. I know its not apple's fault by the way.

Thanks for reading my little story.
  2. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    South Australia, Australia
    I know it's frustrating - but it's also nice to know if someone had stolen your card/details - they would also find this just as frustrating - so it's not a negative thing, it's for our protection. But your point about being personally inconvenienced is still an inconvenience - so I understand that too.

I make a point of letting my CC company know I will be making a bigger than usual purchase a few days before I do - I don't usually encounter a problem then.
  3. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    Think of it as a test of the emergency broadcast system; its annoying for a few minutes, but you know that when something happens, the TV will beep and show funny colors instead of real news. And there is peace of mind in that.

Ok, sorry, not really sure about the connection, but the gist of it is that now you know both Capital One and GM's fraud department is on top of things!

I know its frustrating, but now everything is all worked out. Hopefully. If so, enjoy your new iMac! If not, good lucking B*tching out all appropriate parties!
  4. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2006

I know its great that they are on top of things, but the fact that I made a special phone call just to TELL them to expect the charges and they didn't listen is a little ridiculous.
  5. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    I know. I was just trying to look at the bright side. :)
  6. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
  7. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2006
    A friend of mine experienced the same type of hassle trying to book a cruise. She had cash in hand, but the travel agent only wanted plastic. Debit card limits + low-limit credit cards = big headaches for major purchases. Nobody wants actual money anymore, except the credit companies. Just something to keep in mind.