Ordering Powerbook in Canada

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nspace, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Nspace macrumors regular

I am looking to order the 15" Powerbook, custom order, upgrading the HD, video card mem, and downgrading to combo drive. The lady at apple told me it would probably take 2-3 weeks or so with the custom order + standard ground shipping. So for the additional 18 bucks I am thinking to get the express shipping. I am actually going away next saturday July 31st.

I was wondering for those who have ordered thru apple canada if there is a chance you think I may get it before then with the express shipping, and also I was curious if anyone knows where Apple Canada ships from?

This is my first apple, and of course my first time ordering through apple.ca so I am a little unsure of what kind of speed/service to expect.

If it is in Toronto or surrounding area where I am it should be quicker.

Thanks.

2. matthewr macrumors member

Don't bother with expedited shipping...

I ordered a 15 inch BTO PB (1.33 Ghz, 80 GB drive) and 15 GB engraved iPod two fridays ago. I went with the standard shipping. The iPod was in hand by Tuesday, and the PB by Thursday. So 1 week elapsed between placing and receiving my order. BTO products are shipped from Shanghai, and Apple isn't dumb enough to make you wait for ground shipping from Shanghai. I wouldn't waste the money on faster shipping.

Enjoy your new 'book. They are as awesome as everyone says.

EDIT: The shipping takes 3 days: Day 1: Shanghai -> Anchorage -> Memphis; Day 2: Memphis -> Winnipeg (where it clears customs) -> Mississauga(overnight); Day 3 Mississauga -> you!

3. Nspace thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

Ahh I did not realize it was coming all the way from Asia. Maybe I will stick with the standard shipping if it is that quick. Apple claims it may take 2 -3 weeks because I have a custom order, I just don't want to have to chance it and wait that long (if it really is), as I would like to get comfortable with the laptop before school starts.

I think I may order it tonight.

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i live in toronto, and i got mine within 2 days of order. it was shipped within 24 hours, and fedex-ed to me the very same day. it got to me the next day. it was shipped from Elk Grove, California.

BUT it was an ADC order and i took the expedited shipment. my friend ordered from Edu store, and his was shipped about 5 days later, and he's expecting it today, but no word yet. his was shipped from Shanghai.

5. Nspace thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I will find out soon hopefully. I choose expedited cause I couldnt wait lol. I did that cram and jam deal too for the ipod. Seemed like a sweet deal.

Now Im gonna sell my 20 gb creative normad zen.

I hope it ships quickly like yours.

6. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

off topic, but can cram and jam be used if the two items are bought separately??

7. Nspace thread starter macrumors regular

No i read it has to be part of your order. So if u order the pb to get the deal u have to order the ipod with it. So I don't think you can order and then go back to get the deal.

8. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

ic. i was gonna buy the 4G ipod and claim C&J for it. lol. :p

9. Thussy macrumors member

That's weird, I ordered a BTO PowerBook (i'm canadian btw) on Monday as well as a 4th Gen iPod with engraving and the iPod ships tomorrow (according to the system) and the PowerBook ships Thursday.

I called them up and ordered it though, as opposed to online.

10. James L macrumors 6502a

I agree with the above posters,

I ordered a brand new PB when they were announced in April. It took them 2 days to build it and ship it, then went from Shanghai --> Alaska --> Memphis --> Winnipeg --> Me. The entire process took exactly 1 week, from order to arrival. I did NOT take the expidited shipping option, just standard shipping.

EDIT: Also, they ship each item separately usually, so you might get 1 item ship tomorrow, one 3 days later, one a week later, etc.

11. discomonkey macrumors newbie

i went expedited - it's only an extra $20... even if it only gets here one day earlier, it's worth the $20 for me...