Ordering prints from iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shakespeare, Dec 16, 2002.

1. shakespeare macrumors 6502

How in hell do I order Kodak prints through iPhoto? The Quicktime video (http://www.apple.com/iphoto/theater/prints.html) on Apple's site, and all of Apple's documentation (including http://www.apple.com/iphoto/share.html) direct me to click the 'Share' tab and then the 'Order prints' button, but on my version of iPhoto (1.1.1, ostensibly the most recent), no such button exists.

Look at the attached image to see what I mean. What's going on? Isn't this weird?

Attached Files:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Mmmmm....weird. I have the "Order Prints" button appear in iPhoto. Maybe it's related to .Mac somehow, do you have to have a .Mac membership? If so, are you a member?

3. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

4. scorpion macrumors newbie

works for me

I just checked mine and it's fine -- I too have 1.1.1. Very bizarre that yours isn't working.

I know this'll sound stupid, but hve you restarted?

5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Um...

Well I know this may seem a obvious thing but you have photos in your library right? I don't know, It appears on my mac and I am a .Mac member... do you have to set it up or anything, as a last result find your photos (where ever iPhoto stores them) and back them up, try to reinstall iPhoto. I have OS X 10.1.5. Maybe in Jaguar its different, just before you reinstall be sure to backup your photos. :D Hope I helped...

6. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've restarted for lots of reasons about a thousand times since I noticed the problem, and there's been no change.

Okay, I'm going to try reinstalling it. Let's see what happens.

7. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I've reinstalled, and the buttons are still missing. This is driving me crazy! Does anyone have so much as a clue what's going on?

8. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Is your .Mac mamber info properly placed in the Internet System Preference?

9. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it is - I just checked it when you asked the question, plus I have no trouble accessing my Mac.com email through Apple Mail or accessing my iDisk through the Finder. So it's not that.

Anyway, isn't anyone supposed to be able to order prints through iPhoto, regardless of whether they have a .Mac membership?

10. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

On a random thought, go to the apple store and create a OneClick account using your .mac as you user name, this solved it for someone else.

11. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

I did this, and still nothing.

This is really annoying. Why should this problem happen just to me? I'm dying to order prints online - to give Apple money - but they don't seem to want it! What's the problem?? The button just isn't there!

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

People, iPhoto can order prints and albums without a .mac membership, so it is NOT a .mac problem. the buttons are there for me and i've never even signed up for a trial account. If i were you, i would delete EVERYTHING (backup your library!) like prefs, etc and then reinstall. If you still get nothing, try Apple's knowledge base or discussion forums, you're bound to find an answer there...

[edit] even One-Click ordering shouldn't be necessary to see the buttons, it will simply ask you to enable one-click before you can complete an order...

:)
    pnw

13. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, when I said I 'reinstalled', I did delete everything that I could find to have anything to do with iPhoto - including preferences &c - but to no avail.

Thank you, yes, I have posted something on the Apple discussion forums, but I'm still waiting for a reply from them. I couldn't find any KnowledgeBase articles on this, but I may have overlooked something. I'll check again.

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Okay, what OS are you using? this is quite a puzzle...

-p

15. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.2 and iPhoto 1.1.1 on a PowerBook G4/400 with a modest 512 Mb of RAM.

A puzzle indeed; I am rather stumped.

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Two suggestions straight from the kbase forum...
    forgive me if you've tried them already...

-----------------------
    I tried all of the suggestions in this thread with no success. However, I did find another solution that worked for me. Go to your Home directory to:

~/Library/Preferences

and delete any old preferences that are no longer being used. I whittled away about 100 to get down to about 250 preferences files and then re-launched iPhoto. The missing buttons are now back!
    -----------------------
    I had the same problem. No Order Book and Prints buttons in the share panel. Then I changed the language of my system to english (I'm french canadian) and launched iPhoto again. The missing buttons were there. Hope this help.
    -----------------------

It would seem there's some bug in iPhoto that can be corrected, for some people, by doing any number of these things. Another procedure that worked is going into your Sharing control panel and making sure File Sharing is disabled... you can re-enable it later if you actually use it... but it worked for a couple of people...

-p

17. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

As simple as that. I missed the second of the two KBase things you found.

I switched my system language from British English to simply English and the buttons were there. What a stupid problem! I changed the language to British because I hate it when the spellchecker complains about 'colour' and such.

Wow, thanks so much, Paul, I had almost given up. I can always count on my problems' being resolved here!

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

you're quite welcome :) glad i could help. It does sound like a relatively stupid problem... i don't use iphoto for much besides importing pics to use later in emails, etc, so i've never tried ordering books and such. I can't believe so many things can cause those buttons to disappear. This problem seems to stretch back quite a while, Apple *really* needs to do something about it. this is quite outside of apple's "ease of use"idea...

pnw

19. Traeglmorf macrumors newbie

me too...

ugh- excellent suggestions guys, but didn't work for me-

one Cube, one iMac (blueberry), both running 10.2.2 and iphoto 1.1.1, both have always run English, neither have .Mac accounts, and NEITHER have their prints button! Is it possible that Apple has a problem with their servers which iPhoto recognizes and disables the button??? I tried the suggestions but nada.

Any other fixes or suggestions???

Of course, this was discovered as I was trying to explain iPhoto to my wife who is not yet convinced that a Mac is easier than her old PC, so perfect timing Apple!;(

thanks,
    david