Ordering TODAY...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JMies419, Sep 16, 2006.

1. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Okay, so I said to hell with merom, i'm gonna order my macbook today and takre advantage of the free ipod! My question is, should I BTO with the 120g hard drive I want or just order it stock and do it myself when I get it? I am going to order the ram stock and throw 2gigs in it but I dont know what to do about the hard drive. I know it is a very easy upgrade but the only thing im concerned about is a after market hard drive failing on me, and the pain of reinstalling os x and all that other crap. What do you guys honestly think? BTO with the 120gig or stick with the stock set up and do everything myself?? Thanks! :eek:

2. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Ask yourself a couple of questions.

1. Are you going to get applecare?
    2. If you get it, and add the gigs later will you still be covered under apple care?

In most warranties they get voided if you do not send it to the company themselves.

I do not have a mac as of yet so I do not know how applecare works.

Am I correct in my assumptions people?

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

RAM and the HDD are user-replaceable in the MacBook. AppleCare will still cover the MacBook with 3rd party RAM and HDD but if you break anything installing the 3rd party gear, that breakage is not covered under the AppleCare warranty.

Also, if 3rd party RAM or HDD is deemed to be the problem when diagnostics are run, repairs aren't covered by AppleCare - that's why most people won't sell the Apple-installed RAM after upgrading with 3rd party RAM because if they have to send it in for repairs they can swap out the 3rd party RAM and put the Apple RAM back in. Then because the MacBook is in factory-shipped condition, all repairs covered by the terms of the warranty are carried out free-of-charge.

4. nathanj.massey macrumors newbie

I've ordered my MacBook today aswell (black factory spec). Was hoping for the Merom bump at the Showtime event, but seen as that didn't happen, decided to buy now. Just out of interest, anyone got any theories on when Merom MacBooks are gonna be released?

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You WILL NOT void your warranty installing Apple compliant RAM DIMMS.

You also will not void your warranty installing a large Apple compliant Hard Drive.

However, IF you need to send your machine in for service, just pull any third party componemts and re-install the factory ones,
    just so Apple can rule out a third party component issue.

Now if you install components that do not meet Apple's specifications and damage your logic board doing so, that can be a problem.

When you BTO something like a HD from Apple, you're covered fine, but you are also facing a shipping delay of up to several weeks.

6. JMies419 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand that these are user replaceable parts and will not void my warrenty, but what do you guys think about having the hard drive BTO and order it with the 120gig or buying it later on down the road? That is what I am struggling with right now. Also, what ipod is the best bang for the bung when it comes to re-sell value? I will probably sell it when I get it but not sure what size to go with, 4 gig nano or 30 gig ipod? Hmmmmm.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It's clear that the iPod is important to you, but I would be concentrating on buying the most compter I could afford as a priority.

You still have to fork over the cost of the iPod up front and then get your rebate certificate mailed in on time.

So you're waiting quite a while to get your refund and you're getting the old model iPods.

Personally, I would recommend spending that extra cash on a good premium
    back up drive and worry about an internal HD upgrade later.

The MyBook premium 7200 RPM 250 GB drive would do more to help you than
    any internal 5400 drive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136027

I also like the specs on the My Book Pro 500GB 7200 RPM 16 Mb cache USB and F/W 400& 800
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136047

And it means your data is safe, in the event of a hard drive failure some time down the road.

8. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Thank you for explaining the warranty for me. I was at an apple store last night and mentioned the apple care, but the salesperson never even explained it to me.

Thanks again.

9. Rodstermac macrumors newbie

Same boat as you

I just ordered last evening and was waiting till the last moment on that rebate pod and mac too. I got the 60GB pod too but I have a question for all of you as well.

I ordered the "middle MacBook" 2GHz white with the base configuration 512mb/60GB.

I ordered RAM from Newegg at $80 a stick 1GB X2 (never heard of SimpleTech Ram) and found another Macbook owner online bought the same and is running it without issues - Hopefully a confirmed good choice.

Now, about HDD. Since I consider this a once in the lifetime for this baby, I want the best hard drive available. I am thinking 7200 RPM Seagate 100GB BUT someone on Newegg in the reviews said it did not work with the MacBook???? Why? 2.5" SATA, etc. If not, what ones are recommended? The only other brand I know of is Hitachi with a 7200 100GB drive. As far as answering the thread starter, I find 3rd party better and you have recourse (Warranty)with the manufacturer of the part usually for a longer time than Apple on hard drives I believe.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

About the hard drive- you can save money buying an internal drive and a separate enclosure for it. Don't trust any brand that isn't Seagate.

11. Rodstermac macrumors newbie

Thanks. I have a Momentus 100GB in my Mini and it is great but only 5400RPM. I thought perhaps the 7200 had some kind of issue with the laptop as the reviewer said it would not work.. seemed strange.

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you upgrade to a 7200 RPM HD in a MacBook, be very careful choosing one
    that runs as cool as possible.

You would also definitely pull any such drive before sending your machine in for service.