Oregon Bill Could Give Life to Protesters

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Chef Ramen, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Chef Ramen macrumors member

http://www.rense.com/general36/pce.htm

glad i dont live in oregon:(

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

wow... I would be very scared of that type of legislation, oh wait, thats called the Patriot act.

this seem pretty bad, bills are never so small to address such a big issue.

3. Steradian macrumors 6502

I thought it was the Homeland Security act that made our rights go poof...

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Gee, I hope they tack a provision on there to make it punishable by death. That'll teach those commie protesters, eh? :rolleyes:

5. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I guess it's time to start writing more letters to our congressmen.

God, what an awful time in politics to be alive.

Dan

6. Chef Ramen thread starter macrumors member

both the patriot act, and the homeland security act made *most* of our rights go "poof." the Domestic Security Enhancement Act 2003 will make the rest of them crash and burn. as much as i like to burn things, i certainly do not want my rights to be vaporized!

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

That's gotta be one of the worst pieces of legislation ever written! The way it reads, even the cops breaking up the protesters could be arrested for terrorism! Talk about over-reaching!

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Holy flying gob****es. It's funny how the far left and the far right can seem so similar at times. Welcome to North Korea...

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well, if you're protesting peacefully, and aren't spitting on people, or wishing others to die, or breaking into military bases, or trashing property, or blocking traffic (without a permit, that is), you shouldn't have a problem.

The hippies in Austin Texas blocked traffic downtown after they were forced off the University because they didn't have a permit, then the police just watched as they unlawfully and illegally disrupted the infastructure of the city of Austin.

Damm hippies...

You have freedom of speech, and so does everybody else, but you don't have the freedom to break the law.

This bill just seems like it would enforce current laws more than they are enforced now. It seems as if they could arrest people in a mob or violent protest, although they couldn't lock them up for life, yet.

10. alset macrumors 65816

alset

You're telling me that you don't see this as EXTREME?! Enforce it some more, as I don't care to have the Bay Bridge blocked off when I am heading to school, but such levels of enforcement infringe on our rights as Americans. doesn't it seem kind of, oh what's the term..... Cruel and unusual for such a weak offense?

Dan

11. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

right and left...

Well that's because the farther from center they go, the more they come back around the other side to bang into each other.

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Lets see, don't they have disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace of arresting protesters? Or are you saying the 1500 and 500 arrested in S.F. and Chicago were arrested illegally?

If you looked at the law, it states that the minimum sentance for this crime is 25 years without the possibility for parole! Damn! Thats a long time for blocking traffic, don't you think?

I agree that stopping traffic should be illegal. The thing is, it already is. And if it were made more illegal, do you really think 25 years to life is the appropriate punishment for it.

Well, at least it would stop those damn hippies from protesting and disagreeing with the brave and nobel government, eh? :rolleyes:

Taft

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Looks like the US is going to become more like Iraq before we make Iraq more like the US! :rolleyes:

14. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I agree with everything except the hippies part. I've seen the new casts from all over the US and have seen very few hippies doin anything more then holding candles.

It's funny tho, protesters that violently protest a violent war. "Stop the war before I blow up this car and throw bricks thru those store front windows then bash that cop". Ah, protesting is protesting, but the violence just shows that protests have no argument, it's more of a civil uprising on a very small scale.

I'm all for freedom of speech, frightened that we keep loosing rights but we do have to close off a little to tighten up our protective sheild, however I don't think smashing cars, fighting with cops, destroying property does anything but make them look like hungry neanderthals. Say your peice, hold up your signs and make your voices heard. Non violently.

To protestors-bare in mind how many cops are sectioned at your rally instead of protecting the streets from other criminals. Additionally, the extra cops on duty for these protests are coming out of tax payers pockets.

As for the bill, 25 years is uh, slightly ridiculous. This bill on terrorism should go more towards abortion clinic terrorists who bomb and shoot at doctores and patients.