Oregon Trail, Math Munchers, Dr. Quandary...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hondo11008, Feb 29, 2004.

1. hondo11008 macrumors newbie

I just bought an old lc 575 off of ebay from a guy collecting the surplus of a school district. The games listed above are some of the few blasts-from-the-past still on the computer. To warn you, I have nearly no mac experience. It's running OS 7.6.1, but I'm stuck in "guest" mode: I can't get to the control panel, extensions, or utilities folder. I keep getting a "not enough access privileges" message. I can attempt to log into the administrator's setting, but i would need an administrator name and password which i don't have and couldn't get anyways. While i enjoy trouncing troggles and hunting buffalo on the praire, there's a lot more than I plan to do with this machine that involves being able to download and install old software. I'm in the process of getting a hold of the old 7.6 OS disk, but i'm afraid that even once i get it, the current guest mode will prevent me from doing a clean install of the system. Someone suggested that I need to do something with the eeprom, whatever that is. It has a 1.44 floppy drive and a cd-rom drive. I've been a seasoned windows user for years, and I wanted to make an honest effort to learn the mac os through this "new" computer. If anyone can lend a hand, i'd be much obliged.

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

As long as you get that OS 7.6 CD, you're good. Just boot from it, save all those (classic!) games, then trash the related files to "multiple users" or whatever it was called back in OS 7.6. If that doesn't work, back up essential files to floppies and reformat. Good luck!

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Are you in AT EASE or something? Booting off the Mac OS 7.6 CD and reinstalling everything makes it all good. If you dont have one PM and I'll send you one....

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

These games wont be the original. A new Oregon Trail came out around the time the LC 575 came out. Full color and everything. I had an LC 575 back in the day. Wasnt that bad of a puter. 25-33mhz I think. 68040 processor maybe? (pre-PM)

5. hondo11008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jimmy has typhoid--and your computer has died.

Bad news: I never could find an OS 7.6 disk, so I tried to install the free-to-download OS 7.5 which I got off of apple.com, burned in the ol' HSF format, and opened it on the lc as a smi. My hope was that reinstalling an OS, any OS, would bypass the whole "access privileges" thing. Oddly enough, it wouldn't let me initialize my hard drive or do anything resembling a clean install. Instead, it provided me with the option of displacing all my "newer" OS 7.6 apps and extensions with their 7.5 counterparts. I tried that, hoping that if I asked it to replace the "security" extension I'd be sittin' pretty. I had to restart, and it did, showing a whole new startup screen (the familiar smiling computer, but this time instead of the "macintosh OS--starting up screen" that immediately follows, I got a "Welcome to Macintosh" that belongs to the 7.5 OS. I was excited, thinking it'd worked, but my excitement soon faded after a minute when I realized that the computer was stopping it's normally hums and clicks at this screen and freezing there. I've tried a few commands, hoping to turn off extensions and such (holding down shift, holding apple-opt-delete, apple-opt-power...I ran out of combos soon enough, and I couldn't say I knew what any of those combos should have been doing.) It doesn't want to restart with the Power button, so I have to flick the switch in the back to get it to turn off. I'm stumped, and this post is way too long already, so I'm going to shut up and throw myself at the mercy of your wisdom and experience at this point.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It won't start with extensions off? Did it even recognize you had TRIED to boot with extensions off, like actually saying "Extensions Off"?

At this point you may have to boot off a CD (the LC 575 supports up to OS 8.1) and do it manually. While you're booted from CD, rename the old system folder to something else and then run the OS 7.5 installer again.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Are you sure you aren't using "On Guard". It sounds as though you are.

For almost anything security related, pre OS8
    When the system restarts hold down the spacebar, and the extensions manager will load. From there, disable any and all security extensions. Once the computer loads and is normal, trash the offending extensions and control panels. Restart and enjoy your nice cleaner Mac-PC (Macintosh Personal Computer).

The LC 575 and 580 are great workhorses, and if you look around, you may be able to find the PPC Upgrades for them. Just a thought.

TEG

8. hondo11008 thread starter macrumors newbie

big victory

Big news! It boots up again! I used an actual OS 7.6.1 CD to boot (using "C" at startup) and that seems to have fixed that problem. I still can't do a clean OS install, but I'm pretty sure that my problem is "on guard" (its icon looks like two little fencing foils when the extensions parade during startup). This would explain why I can't disable extensions with shift, and why I can't access the HD, even from a boot disk. I've already been eagerly searching a few "hackintosh" sites, looking for a way around this extension (including opt-command-s, using "find file" to find the "on guard" preference folder) but nothing works so far--I still can't disable extensions and the folders are made invisible to me in "find file." One of the more promising things I've come across is "no guard," an emergency password generator made from the cracked algorithm. Another (much scarier looking) solution is to use resedit, which I don't think I even have, to get down into the nitty gritty. Plan of action? Anyone? Also, I'm going to move this to a more appropriately named post.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, that's actually what I was going to suggest... ResEdit. If these OnGuard files you need to get rid of are hidden, you can change those properties to make them visible, and then, I assume, drag them to the trash.

10. hondo11008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exact directions?

Can anyone offer me some specific instructions for using ResEdit to do this? I got the program from here:http://developer.apple.com/tools/legacy.html
    and I've got it all on a CD, and I'm supposing that I'm just running the program off the CD, right? That's all I can do, anyways. I open the application program up, and the little jack-in-the-box appears, but there's no real GUI.

If I click on "file" at the top of my screen, it reads thus:

New,
    Open,
    Open Special,
    Get File/Folder Info,
    Verify,
    Page Setup,
    Preferences.

the only one that's self explanatory when I click it is "page setup."

11. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

if you have on guard try logging in as...

user: admin
    password: admin

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Go to Get File/Folder Info. It will bring up an open file dialog box. Through there you should be able to browse all files on the computer, visible and invisible. Look for anything suspiciously like it would be used for OnGuard and select it. You should then get a box that will allow you to change the Finder flags (such as visibility.)

13. hondo11008 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I really need is a big magnet...

Surprise, surprise. ResEdit can't "see" those folders that I need to unlock. It actually sees fewer than I can see when I double click on the HD icon on the desktop. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that ResEdit's not actually installed on the computer, and just running off of a CD? I'm now on the lookout for a copy of "norton utilities" 3.x for mac. I'm told that this is the mother of all boot disks, and that it should bypass "on guard" and let me do a complete wipe of the hard drive. Is that true? Anybody know where I download an image of something that old?

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

If ResEdit is just running off of a CD, it sounds like you're probably not booted from a CD. Copy ResEdit to the computer, boot from your OS 7.6 CD, then try running ResEdit again.

15. hondo11008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Success!!

Ok, it's up and running, and there's a totally clean OS 7.6.1 installed and under my controll. Good ol' ResEdit.... Now, does anyone know how I can get the internet on this thing? When installing, it wouldn't let me install OpenDoc or CyberDog, which I hear tell are pretty important for internet access...the reason why was something about the computer not being a power mac, or perhaps the word was "PPC." Is there a difference between those two, "PowerMac", and "PPC"? What's a PPC upgrade? The computer definitely has an ethernet card, but whether it has the right software to run on the campus LAN is anyone's guess...

Also, here's a list of important LAN sounding Control Panels and Extensions. A shiny button to whoever can name what they do...2 buttons if they can tell me how they can get my computer on the internet:

AppleTalk
    CacheSwitch
    DialAssist
    MacLinkPlus Setup
    Modem
    PC Exchange
    PPP
    Remote Access Setup
    Sharing Setup
    TCP/IP
    Apple Built-In Ethernet
    Apple Ethernet LC
    EtherTalk Phase 2
    Network Extension
    OpenTransport AppleTalk Library
    OpenTransport Internet Library
    OpenTransport Library
    MacTCP DNR

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Cool! Glad you were able to finally get around that stupid OnGuard mess. Now, onto PPC... PPC is short for PowerPC. Basically there are two kinds of Mac processors: 68K (older) and PPC (newer). The LC575 has a 68K processor, which means it can't run programs written for PPC. Any programs you run have to be either written for 68K or must be "fat" (folders usually denoted with a "ƒ" at the end), which means they have both 68K and PPC code in them.

AFAIK, if you're just connecting to a LAN, just about everything you'll need should be in the TCP/IP control panel.

Cyberdog and OpenDoc aren't that important. You should be able to find a 68K version of Netscape Navigator around somewhere... (NS v3.x and older support 68Ks). Good luck!