Organ Donation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wimic, Sep 8, 2006.

?

Are you and Organ Donor?

1. Yes

60.3%
  2. No

39.7%
  1. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

Are you and organ donor? what's your take on organ donation? How about buying organs online? (apparently this is the new craze)!

2. vniow macrumors G4

Haha, what?

3. wimic thread starter macrumors regular

wimic

I know! I hear ya! It sounded crazy to me too - but apparently you can purchase human organs online now! I saw an article in the newspaper the other day that said that a man had a kidney transplant with a kidney that he had purchased on the internet! *black market* maybe? no idea to be honest... but it's kinda scary to think that this is what the world's coming to!

wendy

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Where's the option for 'Not Yet'?

I'm on the donor register and my family know that I'd rather my organs were used if possible should I meet an unexpected death.

Not keen on the idea of organs being for sale. Leads to dangerous situations for those who need quick cash and who aren't going to care about the consequences. That risk might be fine if it's your child/brother dying but risking your health for cash?

5. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

My organs are available for use as soon as I am finished with them. As for selling a kidney or part of my liver: they are mine and I can do what I want. Do you have enough cash to make it worth my while? I can, however, appreciate the downside of "Organs for Sale". Bad stuff can happen.

Just as important: Do you have a Living Will??? Your wishes should come before anyone else's when it comes to the state of your health if you cannot directly answer for yourself.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm an organ donor and it's in my advance directives that they can pluck my eyes out and take whatever else they want if it's functional and can help someone else.

I am sure not going to give a crap.

7. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I'm an organ donor, but it was not too easy for me to become one. A few years ago, when I got my license, my mother didn't want to let me become a donor because she's paranoid about doctors letting me die in the event of a car accident so that they could harvest my organs. I managed to argue it to her eventually though, and she finally let me get my license and register as a donor.

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Unfortunately I don't have any control over the distribution of my organs. I don't generally agree with the decision process, and there are certain people (in non-suspect classes) that I would rather not receive my organs, and I don't think I can place those controls. For example, I have no desire to see my liver in an alcoholic or my lungs in a smoker...

Until those controls are available, my name will stay off the registry (although before I really considered the topic, I was on the registry).

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm on the donor list for whatever parts they can use - eyes, skin, heart, lungs, or dual core processor. But they can't have them just yet.

I'm also on the registry of the National Marrow Donor Program.

But they can't have my Q hat at all, even if somebody without one claims they need it. They can recycle the rest of me, but I say let 'em get their own Q hat!

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I'm not gonna use 'em when I'm dead. :)
    (yup, I have the donor sticker on my license)

11. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

That's why you gotta donate the eyes :D

12. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I'm not a registered organ donor but i want to be. I feel that if people can benefit frommy death, thenm they should. A piece of you can always live on as well.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Hey man, if I'm dead take whatever. I'm not using it. :D

As for the sale of one's organs, I have no problem with it. It would probably cut the waiting time for organ donations. Plus, if someone is short on cash, sell a kidney!

14. Lau Guest

Definitely — no worries about it at all. I'm gonna be rotting away, so whoever needs 'em gets 'em. :)

I don't really worry about the theory that they might be more likely to flick the switch if you're a registered donor, as even of it were to happen, you'd have to be in a pretty bad way for them to do it, and I doubt you'd be aware of it, really.

I freely admit to not having looked up any statistics to this theory, but surely if more people donated then there would be less of a need for a black market in organs? Or is it that the organs aren't suitable? Either way, I'm very wary of the idea of organs being bought and sold — anyone seen Dirty Pretty Things?

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple should sell organs online through iTMS so that people in Greece will have one more thing to bitch about. :eek: ;) :D

FWIW, I'm an organ donor. Why not. I don't want this body anymore after I'm done with it....

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've already donated some body parts to medical science. Truly. ;)

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm not an organ donor in any official capacity. It's one of those things I'd like to discuss with my family, but the little time we spend together is so precious we don't exactly get on to such matters.

At the end of the day I'm happy for my redundant body to be used to benefit others to the fullest extent medically possible, if my family are happy with it too. Hell, if I can stay on this wonderful planet for a few years longer, even if it's as a liver in someone elses body, then so be it. :p

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hmm ill be the first to say no freaking way. i dont want to be cut up when im dead.

however, with that out of the way i fully endorse stem cell research that could be used to regrow organs that have a 100% acceptance in the person's body since it is your own cells.

as far as ethical issues, hopefully scientists will find a way to create these stem cells that will not be from a blytocast(spelling error there probably) that could be potentially be a fetus if it were inserted in a uterous.

however as it stands right now, the ethics reolve around where you believe life starts and for me personally, i define life starting once it can support itself without the help of another organism.

i know some may disagree but thats where i stand so dont try to change my viewpoint.....much like trying to argue religion whats the point you know :cool:

as far as buying organs online....yea no way should that be permitted in my opinion. that will only benifit the rich and neglect the poor.

but then the question has to be asked when the president or someone of much importance needs an organ, does he have more of a right then an old lady or poor person for example? i would say yes he does for the president serves a greater good for society as a whole. where to draw that line of importance though is also very iffy

glad im not a supreme court judge lol

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ooh i dunno, i would have to think then that people would be selling body parts just to survive which in itself can not be good.

would the homeless people all the sudden sacrifice their wellbeing just to buy food?? i dont know if i like the consequences of that to be honest.

maybe a program could be set up to be paid for in advance for your organs but the organs would be used once one passes away. that may be viable as those who wan to donate could do so as well

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yep, I have no qualms about it, but I've signed up for it multiple times in different ways, so I'm pictureing multiple people argueing over who gets what at the scene of my death.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I talked to a man whose wife was killed in a traffic accident. All of her organs were donated, including skin and eyes. Later, his daughter was killed in another traffic accident and her organs were donated too. It was a horrible story but he took comfort that lives of multiple other people were saved by those donations.

Let's hope that we all live full lives before our components are recycled.

22. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

does anyone know if you are a minor, do your parents have the final say if you donate your oragns or not?

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

They can have anything from me...and if there is something they can't use, cremate the rest of me.

As for selling your organs....I think it puts poor people it a bad spot...why not use them until you die then donate them, or donate anything you can live without or part of it(if you want to) Why make money off of dieing people?

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Are there any major religions that consider donating organs to be inappropriate? Are there countries where it is not accepted in the culture?