Organising iPhoto in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buffalo, Apr 1, 2006.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

I'm kind of anal about keeping everything organized and neat on my computer and my Photos section of finder needs some work.

[​IMG]

What would be the best way to get all of those files out of the way (without messing anything up)?

Thanks!

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

If you're going to use iPhoto, don't mess with its file directory. At all. That's why I don't use it. :p

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Leave them alone and just don't look inside. Make them into a nice tidy grid if you have to - but don't move them or rename them or put them all into a subfolder...

Leave iPhoto well alone... or you'll be rebuilding your Library from scratch.

4. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I was about to make a folder to put everything into, but I'm glad I asked first. It seems very un-apple to have all that out in the open. I guess I can live with it though.

Thanks!

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I guess they think that since you should be accessing through iPhoto and not the Finder, it doesn't really matter. Until iPhoto 6, the filing system was so complex that it was a pain in the ass to try to find things unless you knew exactly when you had taken it.

Having said that, if you've upgraded iLife, there are possibly a few files which were iPhoto 4/5 dependent but aren't needed for 6. But without seeing a 'clean' installation of 6, it's kinda hard to tell!

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yeah, I hate how iPhoto organizes pictures. I keep my 'real' pictures just in a folder and use preview to see them, but I put my friends and etc in iPhoto as they're stuff I don't need to alter or work with often.

7. reh macrumors 6502a

It's not "out in the open." It's all in the "iPhoto Library" folder. If those files/folders were strewn all over your Pictures folder, then it would be annoying. But they're not.