Organising iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cloudgazer, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I'm new to OSX, and am not too impressed with iPhoto.
    Is there any way to add albums to the library without the pics in that album showing up in the library view.
    My problem is that when opening iPhoto it automatically opens in the library view. What if there are pics i don't want others to see?
    Is it posssible to hide pics or change the default view?

it seems odd to me that all your pics should be located in one folder.
    But then maybe 10 years in the windows environment has screwed up my brain.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Just keep the albums in the library closed (by pressing the little arrow button), so next time you start up iPhoto your photos won't be showing :)

Or if you prefer, check out iPhoto Buddy, it allows you to create multiple iPhoto libraries...just in case you want to keep some photos away from prying eyes ;)

3. efoto macrumors 68030

Follow munkle's link to iPhoto Buddy. I too was not happy with how iPhoto organized all of my photos, but with Buddy, iPhoto seems to be a completely new program that I actually use and enjoy.

Note: In iPhoto Buddy you can lock a given library so that someone else cannot open it, however if you open iPhoto through the normal icon without Buddy, the last library that was loaded will be displayed (ie, even a locked library will show if it was the one you last viewed with iPhoto Buddy).

4. efoto macrumors 68030

Was just thinking:
    Using FileVault, could you secure the library folder that the 'locked' library resides in in the Finder?

Even when you lock a library in iPB (iPhoto Buddy....I'm sick of typing that) someone could still;
    A: Open up iPhoto and view whichever library was last viewed
    B: Browse to the location of the library through Finder and open the images in Preview or any other app.

Can FileVault secure a single folder and password prompt before allowing it to be viewed? (I am not familiar with FV at all)

5. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Thanks for the feedback.
    Will check out iPhoto Buddy.
    Other than that little gripe 9and maybe one or two others) I'm loving my mac.