organising photos in iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by schmintan, Mar 12, 2007.

1. schmintan macrumors regular

I have all my photos from my previous folder stored on an external drive. each set of photos is in its own folder labelled accordingly. eg i have folders called "botanical Gardens", or "cousins birthday". This worked well in picassa ( google photo app), but doesnt work with iphoto. iphoto help says i can simply drag a folder of photos from my drive onto the source pane of iphoto to create a new folder containing all the photos but that wont work on my MBP. at present in iphoto, my photos are all lumped together in library and are unbrowsable. i dont want to have to create an album for each folder of photos as it seems like a lot of work.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iPhoto works kind of similarly to iTunes. Everything is lumped together in the library and then you divide your music and photos into playlists and albums respectively. Although it'll be a bit of work to set up, it'll be worth it in the long run. If you have Tiger and therefore Automator, you should be able to quicken this process. :)

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

since you already have them organized by folder, this is what i would do...

i would import them, one folder at a time, this means that all the photos selected and imported will show up in the 'last roll' which will make it easy for you to create albums out of these folders, just create an album, and add the photos from the last roll to the album. import next folder, create album, drag photos from 'last roll' to album, etc.

while tedious, it will be worth it in the end, imo.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd really recommend Automator here though. It's kinda what it was designed for. :)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

to be honest, i've never used it. :eek:
    it probably would be the best solution, but i can't really recommend it/how to go about using it for this since i haven't tried. :eek:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Drag the folders to the library pane on the left. Not the main iPhoto window (where you view the images).

Try doing 2 at once to see if it will allow multiple folders to be dragged. If it does just drag all the others at the same time. Boom.

Each folder will create an album.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know, for shame.

although if the rumored improvements for Automator are true, i'm sure i'll end up giving it a go.

9. schmintan thread starter macrumors regular

i tried dragging the folders from the finder window, to the source pane, but that does nothing.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thats strange. Maybe its because they are on an external drive? It shouldnt really matter but try copying a folder to the desktop then draggin it into iPhoto. See if that works?

If not Automator might be the best bet. Ive hardly used it but I know its quite
    easy to figure out when you open it up and have play.

11. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

12. schmintan thread starter macrumors regular

cool. il give automator a go and get back to you.